Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mindshar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 660  
Subject: Re: Some Reservations Date: 12/10/2008 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If this is true, are we to believe they have the financial strength to survive today this mother of all housing meltdowns?

IMO, odds are that Buffett will back USG to ensure their survival. How much common shareholder equity will remain is more of a question.

We are the most overhoused country on earth.

What does it mean to be the "most overhoused"?

with vast tracts of abandoned housing because government has contrived a whole array of incentives to assure that more housing is built every year than we really need

In my opinion urban blight has a lot more to do with the availability of interstate highways and generally inexpensive gasoline to enable commuting, the decline of many of our manufacturing industries, and "white flight" following many of the race riots in the 60's. Urban blight isn't anything new after all; it's been with us for decades -- since long before the current housing bubble.

So even if sales achieve 80% of the past pace, profits are likely to remain below that level.

I think production cuts and the potential elimination of weaker competitors should compensate, with margins approaching past levels once home building rebounds.

If so, USG will be many years returning to it's former heights.

I agree that USG's not a short-term investment and it could take quite a while for the stock to rebound significantly.

Are these factors why USG has declined so precipitiously?

I would say they are some of the factors... IMO other factors include a general concern about USG's debt levels (despite the length of time USG has before its bond debt comes due), and also a generally short-term outlook for investors and fund managers looking primarily at their returns in the next few quarters.

Does USG not have a realistic chance of returning to recent highs any time soon?

I'm not sure that we can expect much any time "soon". But as long as we don't suffer significantly more equity dilution, I think USG has significant long-term price appreciation potential. $100/share may not be realistic, but multiples of the current price definitely sound feasible, once the housing market rebounds.

One other wildcard is the potential demand increase due to climate change. If you accept the notion that global warming is causing an increase in the prevalence and severity of storms and/or wildfires, then there will be an increased need to replace and repair homes. Katrina destroyed 350,000 homes, and damaged or left inaccessible another 500,000 homes. 850,000 homes is a huge number -- larger than our current annualized rate of housing starts.

Certainly not an outcome I want to see happen, but one which may become material.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement