UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PMcMullenCT Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Re: 401k rollover to IRA, IRA rollover to Roth I Date: 3/22/2001 9:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If understand all this correctly, when you move funds from your regular IRA to a ROTH IRA, don't you have to pay ordinary income tax on the "withdrawal" from your IRA? I don't know of a tax free roll-over from a rgeular IRA to a ROTH IRA?

You are correct. I don't think the original poster was proposing to get pre-tax money into a Roth IRA, only to get more than the "maximum" $2,000 annual contribution into a Roth IRA each year.

However, since you have to leave your job to qualify for such rollovers, at many companies you aren't immediately eligible to participate in the 401K plan and it may take even longer to vest in matching contributions, his proposal is at the very least unwise, if not impossible.

What may be helpful to those wishing to increase the balance in their tax free retirement accounts, is the Portman-Cardin bill currently in Congress. It would (among other things) create a Roth 401K plus account, that would allow after-tax 401K contributions to be treated like Roth IRA accounts - tax free withdrwals at retirement. For more information on this legislation, see:

http://www.passpensionreform.org/housedetails.htm#lang

(and be sure to let your legislators know that you support this legislation)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement