UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: KenAtPcs Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: Inflation Numbers Date: 1/19/2006 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If we keep at this, together we'll finally figure it out.

However, the principal can never go below the original face-value. So, what happens is a deflation adjustment is subtracted from previous inflation adjustments to the principal.

Now, here's a fun question. What happens if the first inflation adjustment on a TIPS is negative? Does this just disappear, since there are no absolute negatives. Or is the negative adjustment retained and subtracted from the first positive adjustment?

These questions are easily answered if you throw out the bolded assumption. The principal CAN go below original face value. I don't have time to find a citation on the TD website to prove I'm correct (which means it is possible I'm wrong), however my understanding is that the value of a TIPS bond CAN go below par. The guarantee is that at maturity, it will be redeemed for par or greater. In the meantime, since the interest payments are based on the current adjusted value, interest payments will be adjusted downward as deflation erodes the current value of the bond.

At any rate, with TIPS we aren't dealing with 6-month periods for the inflation adjustment to principal (I think).

You're absolutely correct about that. I tend to forget about this, even though I periodically go through my TIPS bonds and update their current value in my spreadsheet (using the numbers you found). They need to have the daily adjustments so that the bonds can be accurately valued on the open market (at least, that's one good reason to do it that way).

they now have numbers through February, using December data.

I did NOT know what data they were using; I never did try to figure that out. So they are as up-to-date as possible, since December data was just released. That's good to know, thanks.

Ken
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement