Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you are audited and you cannot document your deductions, they may be disallowed. You will be responsile for the extra tax, and there may be a penalty assessed. There will certainly be interest charged on the newly assessed tax. Since you have financial records to support your deductions, just not the original receipts, all may not be lost. You should be able to contact the places where you spent the money (or credit card companies) and get replacement receipts from their records.
I wouldn't worry about this, however, until I knew I was being audited.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.