No. of Recommendations: 0
If you are not allowed, because of a high AGI, to
make contributions to a Roth, you can still keep the Roth you already have, open a non-deductible IRA and make $2000 annual contributions.
You will then have to file the annual form with your tax return stating what the basis of your non-deductible IRA is, as well as the total value of the IRA. When you withdraw, you pay tax on the portion which does not relate to your contribution. In other words, if your basis is $20000 and the value of the account $40000, you will pay tax on half the money withdrawn. Regards, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.