UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Answer Team Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 79733  
Subject: Re: Recovering the 401k Date: 3/29/2013 7:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you are still within the 60 days, you should definitely roll over whatever cash you have to an IRA. If you do not, you will pay income taxes and penalties on those funds.

Roth IRA contribution if after the 60 day period can be OK to the max for your age group. If funds remain after that, then taxable account invested in the long term buy and hold style (LTBH). You pay taxes only when you sell and then at capital gains rates.

The key to growing your funds is getting a good rate of return on your investments. Equities offer the best chance, but most now use 8% or so as what you can expect over time. However, experience is that better numbers are possible in good times, which we hope will happen again one day. Just not real soon.

An index mutual fund is a good place to begin. If you want to learn stock investing, experiment with a CAPs account. Once you select 7 stocks, TMF rates your performance vs the S&P 500 everyday. If your score is a positive number, you are beating the index. Once you learn to consistently beat the S&P, you are ready to begin investing in stocks. Until then you are better off in mutual funds or etfs, where you let the pros do the stock picking.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.