UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFSynchronicity Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35339  
Subject: Re: EBlakemore Date: 5/12/2000 12:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[I]f you consistently buy your bonds above par, you can book an essentially meaningless loss at maturity. The effective yield to maturity tends to be the same, dollar for dollar, for an above par bond as it is for one sold below par. Unless I'm mistaken on the tax code, you should then be able to use such per "losses" to offset any capital gains

Actually, the tax advantages are minimal, and you are better off amortizing the premium instead of taking the capital loss.

Just to clarify a point here (I used to deal with this way too much at my old job), if you purchase a municipal bond at a premium, you have to amortize the amount of the premium until maturity. You would reduce your tax-exempt interest each year by the amount amortized. This shouldn't effect your taxable income in most situations, but it does mean that if you hold to maturity, you will have neither a gain nor a loss.

If you purchase a taxable bond at a premium, you have the choice of either A) amortizing your premium each year, and reducing your taxable income by that amount, or B) not amortizing, and taking the capital loss on maturity. You'd rather take an ordinary loss now, instead of taking a capital loss later.

If you purchase a bond at a discount (not an OID bond), and hold to maturity, that amount of discount will be considered to be additional income, NOT capital gain. IIRC, you can either recgonize that each year, or recognize it all upon maturity.

OID bonds must have that discount recognized each year until maturity, as I'm sure most of you know.

The Tax Strategies Board has more information on these issues, and they're covered in sections 1271 thru 1278 or so of the Internal Revenue Code, for all the tax geeks out there.

hope this is helpful,

-synchronicity

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement