UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: If you could. . . Date: 1/14/2013 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
tell someone what they could/should do for you when you're depressed, what would it be?

Ishtar
Print the post Back To Top
Author: czarinav Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14890 of 14995
Subject: Re: If you could. . . Date: 1/16/2013 11:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Take over my responsibilities at home so I could have a weekend off at a spa where I could get massages, relax in a hot tub and for once get uninterrupted sleep.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14891 of 14995
Subject: Re: If you could. . . Date: 1/17/2013 10:30 AM
Recommendations: 0
Oh, that would be awesome!

:)

Ishtar

Author: pwhitten Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14892 of 14995
Subject: Re: If you could. . . Date: 1/26/2013 8:13 PM
Recommendations: 6
1 - Check to see that I have taken all my meds.

2 - Check to see if I have eaten anything other than a handful of peanut butter pretzels or chocolate.

3 - If my hair or skin looks awful, suggest a nice hot shower.

3 - Suggest we go sit in the sun for a bit (I live in Florida, so lack of sun is not a problem, getting me out into the sun sometimes is).

4 - Bring me a Diet Coke with a lot of ice and/or bring me some chocolate - but only if I have eaten at least one meal that day.

I asked my husband what he would do (i.e., what he has done in the past for me) and he said it depends, because each individual is so different. But he did have suggestions:

1 - Get a physical, to find out if there are any underlying medical conditions that could be causing the depression.

2 - See a psychiatrist for an evaluation, to find out if counseling or therapy is needed, or if medication is enough.

3 - Help the person find or re-find their passion in life.

For me, I think the last suggestion is the key. When I am really depressed, it's difficult to be passionate about anything. Sometimes, the only way out of the depression is to be forced into doing something that I normally would enjoy, like going for a walk in the park, or a trip to a farmer's market, anything that gets me out of the house and actually doing SOMETHING other that playing solitare on the computer all day.

Last year in December I decided to volunteer for AARP's TaxAide program. I have always been good with numbers, and it sounded like it might be fun. This month we had a week of very intensive training, where they basically brought up every situation we might encounter. It was fast-paced, so there was no chance for boredom. Thinking about it now, I realized that I have not been depressed much at all, because now I have something to really focus on.

I can truthfully say that I feel better now that I have a reason to get up in the morning. Life is not so bad after all, I just hope I can maintain the feeling for awhile.

To others on this board, I hope tthings are going well for you.

Peg

Author: doctordente Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14893 of 14995
Subject: Re: If you could. . . Date: 1/27/2013 1:49 PM
Peg - I think you have an outstanding answer and an excellent strategy! I think meds are very appropriate at times (after a severe illness 7 years ago, my physician asked me as I was recuperating if I thought I was depressed,and I said "yes". After starting my meds and staying on them for two years, I decided early in my therapy I had been depressed most of my adult life! LOL!)

I'm a dentist by profession, but have to deal with a lot of these issues with my patients. I have several good friends that are psychologists as well, and I think you have hit upon the KEY strategy for long term "anti-depression" which is "Find something that ignites the fire in your belly, and stick with it!" All of the other things you mentioned are critical as well, but finding a passion (no matter how silly or insignificant it may appear to others) in life I think changes the frame of reference for our outlook on life.

Just my 2 cents.... Greg

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14894 of 14995
Subject: Re: If you could. . . Date: 1/29/2013 8:16 PM
Peg, I really like your post & should send it to myself to read repeatedly and think about. Great job with the AARP tax project (though that wouldn't be one for ME, I can see how good it is for you). Mine is joining a music group that meets Wed. nights in the City (town. Austin.) which forces me to get out & go there, even though I have a tendency to pack other activities in front of that and get there late. Must. Not. Do. That.
'
Next plan is to actually PRACTICE so I'm not feeling lost during practice. (yes jts, you CAN read music. Just try practicing).

joycets

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement