Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: armingtonk One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2753  
Subject: If you could pick one stock? Date: 2/10/2005 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all! I am just getting started investing. I have bought RuleBreakers and am planning to buy some of the recommended stocks, but I want a staple stock (one that will be the backbone of my portfolio). This may seem neive of me, and please tell me if it is. Any recommendations (I only have 3000 to invest, and plan on investing at least 1000 in a RuleBreaker stock) for great stocks that are on the rise (and will be for at least 5 years) would be greatly appreciated!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vision1220 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2671 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 2/10/2005 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Arm,

I have been investing for a number of years and am certainly no expert. I have had my share of successes but trust me I have had my dogs also.

Most of my investments now are in index funds because they are much safer than individual stocks. But I do have one that I strongly believe in that will do well over the next few years. The symbol is ERES. There has been a lot of talk about it today because it reported good results yesterday.

You can find info on ERES on the "eresearch tecnology" board or the "new paradigm investing" board.

Please do your research. I generally don't like giving advice but I have my money where my mouth is for what is worth.

J

Author: TP2004 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2672 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 2/10/2005 5:54 PM

PKI.

Author: ghg777 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2674 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 3/3/2005 6:43 PM
I hope you weren't looking for an exciting stock, because I'd suggest Village Super Market (VLGEA). It operates a bunch of Shop Rite grocery stores here in New Jersey. It's a well - run business in an industry that isn't all that profitable. Back in high school, I worked as a cashier at one of their stores. I realized then how much sales they generated in each store (it was incredible).

I won't bore you with anymore on this stock for now. But, if you'd like me to run through some of the numbers in another post I'd be happy to do so. I have a copy of the most recent 10 - K, because I was looking at this stock for a partnership I run.

Otherwise, just look at Village's most recent Statement of Cash Flows to get an idea of why I like it so much. You said you're just getting started investing; so, I'm not sure if you're used to reading these things (I've always got a couple hundred lying around the house)so I'd be happy to give my take on anything like that.

You probably know this already, but you can get all these financial statements and all sorts of ratios calculated from them on sites like yahoo, morningstar, etc. If you just want the facts you can get all a public company's filings by going to the SEC's web site.

Good luck

Author: polarizz Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2704 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 7/12/2007 1:00 AM
Recommendations: 1
I have made some spectacular flops when I got started but by hit and trial have realized ETFs have been my best bet: compare the 5 year charts of EWW, EWZ and ILF with that of any stock all the stock gurus suggest (including the Clown Cramer), these ETFs have beaten most of em. They trade like stocks and hold a basket of stocks (less) hefty fees to the fund managers. You may consider picking out one.

Good Luck

Author: Equityphile CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2710 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 10/29/2007 4:13 PM
I like ETFs a lot also.

I tend to like value ones like: VBR, EFV, etc although there is some risk that the past will not repeat.

VWO and many emerging market ETFs, as you note, have been working well recently. I don't make any claims about how they will in the future though.

Author: Equityphile CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2711 of 2753
Subject: Re: If you could pick one stock? Date: 10/29/2007 4:18 PM
I like ETFs a lot also.

I tend to like value ones like: VBR, EFV, etc although there is some risk that the past will not repeat.

Many emerging market ETFs, as you note, have been working well recently. I have VWO and find it quite good though some individual countries are outperforming others. I don't make any claims about how the emerging markets will do in the future though.

I hear you about some of these "gurus", polarizz. I tried NYX (don't own it anymore) as Cramer recommended at found it to be a disaster although it has recovered somewhat recently. T.V. picks are very questionable. Some of them can work well (like Cramer's AAPL), however generally it seems to be merely a waste of time to rely on their advice for some secret.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement