No. of Recommendations: 0
If you do make a non-qualified Roth withdrawal or a withdrawal for a first time home, even though it involves taking out only the contributions (no tax and no penalty), you would still have to complete Part III of form 8606, which you can see at

And there is no form that you file to show the cummulative total contributions you've made to your Roth, unlike after tax contributions made to a Traditional IRA (form 8606). The only source doucuments is the custodian's form 5498 that you should receive each year you make the Roth contributions(s). Adding all past 5498 totals represents your Roth's basis.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.