Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
If you donate an old appliance, say a range, to the Salvation Army or other charitable organization, can you take it as a tax deduction?

Yes, if you itemize deductions, you can deduct the value as a non-cash charitable contribution on Form 1040, Schedule A.

See IRS Publication 526, "Charitable Contributions", available to download at the IRS web site, <>, or in HTML form at <>.

How do you figure out how much it is worth?

For this, you need IRS Pub. 561, "Determining the Value of Donated Property".

A commonly accepted method, I believe, is to visit thrift shops in the area and see what similar items are selling for.

As a guideline for planning purposes, you could take a look at the Salvation Army's donation valuation guide, <>. (Hope that address keeps working for a while -- last year it tended to move around. You should be able to go to <> and navigate back to it, but I can't guarantee the path.)

Hope this helps,
Ron Donnell
Phooley in Phoenix
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.