Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you don't file a joint return with your spouse you aren't responsible for his/her tax liability. You would use the Married Filing Separate Return tax filing status.

You're probably thinking of the Injured Spouse Form 8379. That is used when a joint return is filed to protect the injured spouse from losing his/her part of a refund that would be taken to pay a liability of the other spouse (such as child support).

Filing MFS is generally not beneficial but in this instance it may be your best option.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.