No. of Recommendations: 0
If you form your own "company" and run your freelance work through the company

You can't just form a "company". To get away from the W2 treatment by their current employers, they would need to form a corporation, or an LLC and elect to be taxed as a corporation.

Then their current employers would need to agree to pay their corporation for the services of the corporation's employees (our OP). And that is definitely NOT a slam dunk.

Finally, they'd have to be employees of the corporation and handle all of the associated payroll taxes and reporting. And prepare tax returns for the corporation as well as their personal returns. All of which likely entail the services of a tax professional. They may well be preparing their own returns now, but the additional complexities of this structure come with additional costs.

But if that can be made to work and the costs to do it aren't excessive, then their corporation could put a retirement plan in place. My guess is that a SEP or a 401k plan would be the most likely choices.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.