UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Gordon66 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1950700  
Subject: Re: The Imbecility of the Fox News Crowd Date: 10/2/2012 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
If you go back to my post, you will note that I said:

The same set of irrational tendencies.

Right, but instead of following that up by noting "True, Republican's have followed these tendencies to preposterous extremes, while it's hard to recall similar examples of the Democratic base going crazy en masse" you trot out anecdotes of recent liberal credulity, and imply that liberals would be just as crazy if thrown out of power.

Except liberals WERE thrown out of power. Democrats lost 5 of 6 general elections from 1968 to 1988. So what were those crazy positions the democratic base held on to or embraced in the early 1970s after losing the 1972 election in landslide? Here's the Democratic Party platform from 1976. Feel free to point out the crazy: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29606

By contrast, look at this post making it's way up today's "best of" list about Focus on the Family's 34 dire prediction from 2008 about all the preposterous things that would happen if Obama were elected president: http://boards.fool.com/prophecy-is-tough-30294454.aspx.

In an earlier era, a group this extreme would be relegated by mainstream Republicans to the same fringe as the John Birch society. Now they ARE mainstream Republicans.

I defy you, or anyone, to find an equivalent group pulling the strings on the left from the last 40 years. Find me the liberal equivalent of Grover Norquist's disastrous anti-tax pledge. Find me the equivalent of a group like the NRA, which has managed to take the idea of gun control of any kind for any reason completely off the table.

So here's what bothers me about your post. One of America's great political parties has plainly gone off the deep end, and thoughtful people at all levels of American society who ought to know better are in effect enabling this process to continue when they not only refuse to acknowledge this simple fact, by actively muddy up the picture by trotting out false equivalence every time someone else tries to point it out.

Gordon66
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement