Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you have a regular job and you and your regular employer pay the annual max in social security, then you only have to worry about medicare tax and your regular income tax on your "consultant" job. Actually to have benefits from the regular job and use your vacation to take a "consultant" job is a nice way to do things. You can, if you wish, establish a SEP IRA and put 15% of self-employment earnings after expenses into it, inaddition to any 401k you might have at your regular job.
If you do very much of the "consulting" you may need to either increase your withholding or pay quarterly installments on your income tax.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.