Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you have no earned income for 1999 you can't make an IRA contribution--unless you have a working spouse who made over $4000, in which case you can put $2000 in a spousal IRA, which can be the same IRA you already have.
For the IRAs you already have, yes, you can combine them. Tell the broker to which you want to transfer that you want to transfer your other IRA; they will send you the paperwork. Prudential will probably charge you a $50 fee for closing the account.
This custodian-to-custodian transfer is not a taxable event and should be completed promptly when the receiving broker has the paperwork. Good luck, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.