Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you have not been reporting the income and expenses for the "apartment" on schedule E, you should have (and you can amend your returns for the past three years. If you are renting it for an amount well below 'market', your deduction for expenses will be limited to the amount of the rent you report. You can deduct operating expenses including a portion of your insurance, utilities, etc. and any repairs to the basement unit (and a portion of "general" repairs (eg, repairing a broken sewer line). You can depreciate the baement unit share of the cost of your home (excluding the land), and you can depreciate any improvements to the basement unit. You really need to hire a professional to get things set uo properly (most especially if you have not been reporting this in prior years). It will save you a lot more than it costs. You may be able to handle it yourself there after; on the other hand you may find you have found a true friend in your tax man/woman. Suerte! (good luck).
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.