UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GeoGoddess Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: If you like John McPhee's books... Date: 9/9/2004 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
then try these two by Mark Kurlansky.
Cod: The biography of the fish that changed the world
Salt: a world history

The first one was recommended to me by a fellow Science teacher as a possible cross-curricular reader for my students. I wasn't really looking forward to reading it, but once I started, I didn't put it down until I finished (233 pages paperback). Kurlansky tells such a fascinating story of what I thought was "just a fish" and I was amazed to learn how the fish and the economy it created helped maintain slave trade. I'm reading the Salt book now, (449 pages, hardback) and am planning on reading his other works.

Back in the Fool Dark Ages, I published a
<a href="http://www.fool.com/fribble/1999/fribble991110.htm">Fribble </a>telling what I would do when I'm in charge of the world. One of those things is to grant my favorite writers imortal muses that would allow us all to continue to enjoy good writing forever. I'm adding Mark Kurlansky to the list of Eternal Muses.

I teach at a year-round school and just went "off-track" for two months two weeks ago. My first stop was the library and my second stop was the bookstore. I'm happy to say that I'm putting away a book a day. I can feel my blood pressure coming down with every word I read!

write on,
Sara
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Looking For More to Read?
Visit the Fool Bookstore for all of the Fool's favorite reads!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement