Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: Help! medicare costs more than regular insur Date: 6/25/2008 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you like the HMO type deal, you can get that through Medicare -- it is called "Advantage" -- all the insurance companies have them. Many of these programs include some drug coverage. All I have heard about reduce of eliminate the Medicare Supplemental premium.

Your costs most likely were be subsidized by your husband's employer. Just so you realize the deal you are getting, by law (Congress decided this), the Medicare Premiums paid by retirees cover 25% of the total cost. The remaining 75% is from working folks.

Your medicare supplement is not subsidized, but in round figures, that is about 20% of the medical bill.

Lastly once you are 65, do not forget Medicare Part D -- failure to enroll in that will cost you a 1% per month penality for life. So decide to skip for 1 year, and you will pay 112% of the normal premium no matter what plan you select until you die. You can find some lower cost plans which make sense if you are healthy. You can switch once a year if you need more medicines in the future.

Switching Medicare Supplemental policies is not guaranteed -- it can be done only if the new insurer wants you, with one exception -- if your current insurer stops issuing coverages, you will get some coverage but maybe not what you want.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement