Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ByrneShill Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63849  
Subject: Re: Suggestions on US tax filing for NR Canadian Date: 12/19/2012 2:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you live in japan, you should file a japanese tax report. Wheter you should file a US tax report really depends on tax treaties between japan and US, which I don't know much about.

But in general, if your country of residence (in your case, japan) has a tax treaty with the other country (in this case, the US), you don't file a tax report, you only claim the taxes paid to the foreign country as a deduction in your country. For example, as a canadian living in canada, if I pay US taxes due to dividends on a US stock, I can claim that amount on my canadian tax report and be done with it.

If you country doesn't have a tax treaty in place, you can either file a tax report or not, whichever is most convenient to you. For example, as a canadian living in canada, I paid 10$ in taxes to France because of dividends on Total SA in my RRSP account. I cannot claim that tax on my canadian tax report because it's in a tax-protected account, but I sure as heck ain't filing a french tax form for 10$. If it was 10k$, then I'd probably file one.

So the answer really is in the Japanese tax code. If you can claim a deduction on foreign taxes, then you don't file a foreign one. If you can't, then it's up to you.

One more thing: you never have to file a foreign tax report (with one exception: US citizens have to file a report even if they don't live in US). I would strongly suggest that you file a canadian tax report IF you intend on coming back to live in canada, but other than that, you should file only reports from:
1-The country (and/or jurisdiction, province, state, city) you live in;
2-If you believe you've paid more than your share and will get a meaningful reimbursment.

One last thing: filing a US tax report is not the hell that americans make it appear to be. A simplified 1040NR (the tax form for Non-Resident) is 2 pages long, one of them being your infos and dependants. Last time I filled one, filling my adress was the most challenging thing on that form.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement