Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you made non-deductible contributions to your IRA over the
years, you need the total, which should have been reported to the
IRS annually. That portion of your IRA is not taxable.
If it is all or partly deductible, then you will pay tax on
the amount withdrawn. Capital gains, the source of the money,
makes no difference. Except for any non-deductible contributions,
it is all taxed as ordinary income.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.