No. of Recommendations: 0
If you make a non-deductible contribtuion to your traditional IRA, you will get the contribution back without taxes. So you're not taxed twice on the contribution. (Unless, of course, you don't keep a record of your non-deductible contribution.) The earnings would be taxed when withdrawn.

It's a little bit more complicated than just keeping a record. In any year that you make non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA, you must file IRS Form 8606 with your return. Failure to do so will result in a fine of $50.00 and possibly getting taxed twice on your contribution.

When you take a distribution from the IRA, you have to file Form 8606 again to compute how much of the distribution resulted from tax-paid contributions and how much was the result of tax-deferred earnings or deductible contributions.

That's just one of the reasons that I'm funding a Roth IRA exclusively. No Form 8606 to worry about on either end.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.