UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 251809  
Subject: Re: Bear catchers Date: 2/25/2013 5:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you misunderstood that, you weren't paying close attention while reading

That is what I understood. And as I look at the timing idicators, the vast majority are positive+,

So, no wink, maybe just a little wry smile that I missed.

Indeed the majority of the indicators are positive, but Jim's cmmment said "if [whatever], is it really worth betting on a rising market this month?"

In normal English usage, a statment like this usually implies that the "whatever" is presently the case. And the "is it really worth betting ..." part is being used to contend that it is *not* worth betting.

It's been a really long time since I took the class in formal logic, but this is a statement of the form : If A then B. B is true if and only if A is true. If A is *not* true, that says nothing about the truth or falsity of B.

OTOH, in *informal* usage, "If A then B" is almost always used when and only when A is true. So this type of construct is very confusing. And that's when a non-verbal little eye-roll or wry smile helps to communicate the message as intended.

When he said "this month", the meaning of "this" was ambiguous. On first reading, it's not clear if he meant "this month" as in the month of Feb, 2013 (which is the date of the post) or "this month" as in the month that the "whatever" conditions become true.

Now that I'm paying close attention, it is clear that he meant the latter.

Now that I've explained why I was not "not paying attention", and that my confusion on exactly what Jim was saying is completely excusable and is totally not my fault, I'm done here. [insert wry smile and fletting grimace here] [along will a little eye-roll].
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement