UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75772  
Subject: Re: Professional management Date: 7/11/2011 3:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If you need an hour or two of consultation with a financial advisor, it's much cheaper to pay for that service by the hour rather than load up your whole investment portfolio with excessive fees and costs to get "free" advice.

I don't have my account with Edward Jones, but I do have it with a similar large and well-known firm. I don't pay as low a rate as the person to whom you were replying, but I also need more than an hour or two of consultation with a financial advisor. I'm paying him to manage my money, and that includes the research as well as the actual trade executions. I do pay a percentage of my assets as an annual fee, but we negotiated that down for the starting point, and as the assets grow, the percentage decreases. I do not pay a commission beyond that percentage, and my advisor uses ETFs and not loaded mutual funds, so I don't find the fees to be excessive at all.

I also don't expect free advice, which is probably worth what I'd be paying for it. I have no problem paying for the advice that I am given, and as long as my goals are being met, I am happy.

Where we seem to diverge is that I have more than one goal. I do wish to grow my money, but I don't wish to spend a lot of my time doing that. My end goal is not to have a large pile of money. It is to retire when I want, living the lifestyle I have planned til DH and I both die, and to put both kids through college with no debt for either of us. Notice there is no goal to leave an inheritance at all to my kids.

I am certain that my goals are different from yours, as they should be. That doesn't make either of our goals wrong. It just makes them different. Similarly, if we choose to take different paths to reach our goals, there's nothing wrong with that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

RadioShack Afloat on a Sea of Financing
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement