UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2248  
Subject: Re: Whose Definition? Date: 8/26/2006 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you really want to be responsible with where your money goes, you need to think beyond the piddly amount we as individuals invest in stocks and think more about what our government does with our tax money.. funding wars, swaying global politics, smashing third world economies, etc.

This made me think of a book I read awhile ago ... which I blogged about here:

http://www.7gen.com/some-thoughts-on-war-tax-resistence

There's been many people who refuse to pay taxes to the government because they don't agree with wars/politics/etc the government is doing. In 2003 around the beginning of this illegal war in Iraq I wanted to do something like this (the war began right around tax day...) and found the book I mentioned on that page. It's a resource if you want to do war tax resistance.

An idea I got out of the book is - even if you refuse to pay taxes, that by itself is probably a very little effect. Hardly anybody knows about it except you and the IRS officer who starts prosecuting you. Unless you make a big noise about your refusal.

I've been finding what seem to me more effective ways to channel my passion about the war and other concerns. e.g. the web site I linked above.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement