Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you sell before you have both owned and lived in the apartment as your principal residence, you will be liable for capital gains tax. Two years or more, and you may exclude $250,000 of gain if you're single. This is discussed in IRS Publication 523. In particular, there is an example given where a woman lives with her parents in a house for 6 years. She then buys it from them and lives in it for a further year. She has met the use criterion, but not the ownership criterion, and is liable for the tax if she sells.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.