UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Student Loans, Consumer Debt, & Savings, OH Date: 2/22/2014 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you speak to your friend, please tell him that a rep from the SE TX chapter of the PAtriot Guard Riders thanks him for his service!

LWW

I certainly will!!

He's not been an extremely lucky guy. After returning from Viet Nam, he married his high school sweetheart, and they had 2 very nice daughters. Unfortunately, his wife died from Leukemia 10 years later, a very painful and saddening demise to endure, plus he's lived with shrapnel in one of his eyes since his tour in Viet Nam - He has never complained though.

A few weeks before he left, we went on a 2-day canoe trip down the Current River in southern Missouri. My hammock and camping gear were stowed in the canoe that he was in with another friend. He decided he wanted to try his hand at being a gondolier - wettest night I ever spent, but BIG fun!!

After he came back from Viet Nam, we took many of our Dad's on float trips - We usually ended up in the water, one way or anudder. 1 trip we camped next to a girls softball team. 1 of the Dads went skinny dipping with 3 of the girls from the softball team. The rest of us and the girls softball team went to the bank of the river and axed da Dad how da water wuz. He replied, "Well, I got my worm in da water, but I ain't caught nuttin yet." ~ ~ We always cautioned the camp grounds where we stayed that we were pretty noisy, but harmless, and axed dat dey put us next to the river, and away from family campers - not wanting to cause any problems wid family campers. One of the campgrounds didn't head our warning and called the police on us. We asked that they let us stay the night, as we were pretty intoxicated and it was a long drive home, but they weren't having any of that - had something to do wid our taking the padlock on the gate with us when we went to a local bar. The campground called the bar and axed if we had their padlock, which we acknowledged that we did, but would put it back when we returned - The local Sheriff deputies were waiting fer us at da gate when we returned.

We did save one lady's life on one of da float trips - Her and her boyfriend's canoe had capsized in a bend in da river, and she was pinned between their canoe and a tree in da water, and her top had come off in da process - We saved her from drowning, but weren't able to recover her top, as it floated down da river, it. Her boyfriend thanked us, and we reciprocated wid "It wer da least that we could do." She seemed, a little, shy about the matter, howsomever, not that she didn't appreciate our saving her from drowning, which we did, w/o groping her in da process - My guess is dat da river washing her top down river embarrassed her - certainly weren't our fault, as we risked our lives rescuing her... We took a break at that point, and BBQ'd sum hot dogs on da bank near da bend wid da rapid flow of water, just in case another party might need rescuing, us.

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement