UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (291) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Re: New to the board--warning: very long post Date: 1/4/2011 1:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
If you tell your current landlord that you need to move becuase you are broke and likely to declare bankruptcy soon, maybe they will let you break the lease early without additional penalties. Or you could just stop paying your rent. It will probably take several months before you are evicted.

I would think most landlords would rather let you break the lease while rent was being paid, than let 1-2 months go by with no rent, then file eviction papers and going to court--the fees associated with that are usually one months' rent in some places. Plus the anxiety of what tenants might do during the time between being served with eviction notice and actually moving out--not that you would, but there are those who would not leave it in great shape.

Your daughter's school will probably not make an issue of district at this point in the year, but if she's been riding the bus, you'll most likely have to transport yourself.

Re: husband's depression: in places like food banks, credit counseling, etc., there are probably brochures for various low income help, which may include therapy. Or call some therapy practices in your area and see if any would be willing to see you temporarily at a discount, or are there any soon-to-be-licensed therapists working on their internships or trying to build hours towards licencing?

Re: ebay: if you are new, people will be reluctant to buy from you until you get your feedback up, plus ebay takes a fee or two. Your area may have professional ebay sellers and/or consignment stores that would be easier and safer.

Personal story: some years ago, we were in a financial hole. We had a log house with pool and hot tub we rented out. I furnished it with care, made it a beautiful getaway, and it was part of people's anniversaries, proposals, etc. We spent days at the pool on cleaning days, and it was our mini-retreat. I scoured local antique shops and consignment stores for just the right items. I LOVED that place. I put my heart and soul into making it everything I would want in a vacation getaway. It was also everything I wanted in a retirement home. We planned to move there after retirement and live there until we died. We would NEVER find a place with so many features that we loved.

Rentals dropped off, we were losing money, the maintenance was killing us financially and physically. I resisted for some time, but reality finally sunk in. I took lots of pictures, made a scrapbook, sold the place and all the furnishings. At the bottom of the housing market. I had wanted to hold on until the market improved, but any potential gains would have been wiped out by on-going expenses. We did not turn a profit, but did get the mortgage paid.

The RELIEF I felt when we weren't paying those expenses, and when we took money from the sales of the furnishings and paid down debt, was worth a million times more than any tear I shed on selling it.

Good luck,

cm
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (291) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement