Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: seattlerecruiter One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35757  
Subject: Re: OT-education Date: 2/13/2001 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If you went to college, are you using your degree in the job you are currently in (is it in the same field)?
Do you feel like college was worth it? Do you have a Bachelors degree, or above? If above, do you regret the post-grad work? Any other comments or shared infor would be appreciated.

I got my BA in Business, and as I'm in the executive search industry, I've found my degree to be somewhat useful in a functional sense. A broad understanding of business processes has benefited my work. My boss only hires people with college degrees, although the type of degree is not so important. Without a degree, I would not have such a cool job.

The bigger distinction I'd like to make however is (as was mentioned before) as a degree used as a door opener. In dealing with various types of employers in my work, I've learned that a college education is extremely important. Schools are secondary, even the type of degree can be secondary. No one will ever ask you for your GPA 95% of the time, but without that tagline on your resume, you hit the slush pile. I have an *incredibly* hard time placing engineers and managers who do not have formal degrees, even if they are brilliant and accomplished. People want to see they put in the time and effort to get a formal education.

Often that one sentence on your resume will make the difference between an interview and none.

Even with all of the evidence I see at work that a degree nothing hits home quite as much as when I return to my home town. It's been five years since I graduated from high school. When I run into old friends and aquaintances who did not go to college, I see the fact that they never left home, that they are working as pizza delivery people and midnight shift laborers. They are having trouble making ends meet, they are having trouble moving out, they have few options available to them.

At that point, I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to go to college, and that I took it.

I do worry about people who pay 150,000+ in private college loan fees to get a job that pays 25K. You have to consider the economics of the decision too.

Just my 2 cents.

- SR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement