Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123151  
Subject: Re: Is there a choice SEP IRA? Date: 9/7/1999 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If your earned income is over $2000, you can contribute $2000 to a regular or perhaps a Roth IRA. That has nothing to do with your SEP. You may also contribute 15% of your schedule C income to your SEP if you wish.
So, if you have a job, maybe for part of the year in which you are an employee, and make most of your money there, you can put $2000 in regular IRA. Depending on the income level, it may not be deductible, but that is a different issue. If your total income is below the limits allowed for a Roth, you have your choice of regular or Roth, but the sum of your contributions to a Roth and a regular cannot exceed $2000. It is only the SEP that lets you go over the $2000.
Hope this helps. Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Skyworks Mid-Quarter Review
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.