No. of Recommendations: 0
If your "rollover IRA" is at a discount broker, you can buy and sell just about any securities that broker offers. Note: while custodial fees could be paid from either outside or inside the IRA, all commissions must be paid from inside the IRA.

If your "rollover IRA: is at a fund family, you can buy or sell shares of mutual funds offered by that fund family, just as long as you meet the limits established by each fund you wish to purchase or sell.

So, generally, you start by looking at the type of instruments you want, and then you pick the most appropriate IRA custodian for handling those instruments:

stocks & bonds: discount broker
multiple funds: if from different fund families, brokers (1)
funds, 1 family: typically that fund family (2)
variable annuities: insurance company offering those VAs
CDs, money market: credit unions, banks, thrifts

(1) Scottrade is often mentioned as a good place for buying mutual funds if not buying the funds directly from the fund family.

(2) If buying funds from just a couple of fund families, it might make sense to have a couple rollover IRAs, one at each fund family. Some people prefer a discount broker if holding mutual funds from 2 fund families because of the ease of selling part of one fund to add to another fund at a different fund family.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.