Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If your son qualifies to deduct his contribution to a regular IRA he may be able to claim a $2,000 deduction in 1998, then take the rollover income over a period of four years. I'm not absolutely positive the IRS will permit this, but my discussions with people involved in developing the technical corrections act and guidance on the Roth IRA indicate that it may work this way.

This is an outstanding stategy if it can work. Do you have any references to written authority on this.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.