No. of Recommendations: 0
If you're an employee, you can deduct your unreimbursed business expenses in excess of 2% of your AGI as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A. See form 2106, Employee Business Expenses.

Where are you in Maine? I'm in the Portland area.

excited to find another Maine Fool!

Hello Fellow Mainer,

Currently I am just outside of Bangor, but I have recently applied for a job in the Kennebunk area, so I may be moving.

As far as the deduction goes, I guess I would rather be a 1099 employee and be able to write off all my expenses since they have said nothing about reimbursing me for any, which means that if I'm a W-2 employee I would have to pay 2% of my AGI in expenses out of pocket. Doesn't sound too good to me. Its a shame since mortgage rates keep dropping and its a great time to refi.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.