Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19314  
Subject: If you're old enough... Date: 5/21/2014 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
..to be retired, then you're probably old enough to remember the great era of Coca Cola commercials from the 60's. Jingles sung by the biggest stars of the day; it was almost an honor to get the call from Coke to sing their jingle.

Everly Bros, Freddie Cannon, Gary Lewis, the Who, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Wayne Fontana, the Supremes, Fontella Bass, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pet Clark, Box Tops, BJ Thomas, Moody Blues and many, many more.

The Bee Gees, Tom Jones, Nancy Sinatra, the Seekers, Jan & Dean, Freddie Cannon, Vanilla Fudge, the 5th Dimension and others. I was a DJ in the tall grass of New England, and I always smiled when one of these showed up on the commercial log. Instead of prattling on about some insurance agency or dry cleaner, I got to play a pretty good piece of music and pretend it was a commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7798040ED45961CB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19130 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/22/2014 7:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Go back even further in time to the good old days when there really was coke in Coke.

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19131 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/22/2014 1:19 PM
Coke in a bottle never tasted as good as Coke at the soda fountain, but that was in the 40s. Wonder why it was called a fountain.

db

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19132 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/22/2014 7:18 PM
it was called a fountain because the syrup came from taps....so from a fountain pours a nice refreshing drink.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19133 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/23/2014 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 3
I spent the first 12 years of my life in a middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn. I will never forget egg creams and penny candy or sitting at a soda fountain.

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19134 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/23/2014 3:50 PM
Interesting history of the soda fountain. It does mention "egg creams".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_fountain

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19135 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/24/2014 12:01 PM
I spent the first 12 years of my life in a middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn. I will never forget egg creams and penny candy or sitting at a soda fountain.

I grew up close to the Queens border in Nassau County and also remember egg creams, penny candy, and sitting at a soda fountain. And strawberry milkshakes with actual strawberries in them. I can still get an egg cream in NYC, and sometimes at a Jewish deli/diner in other cities (e.g., the late great Joan & Ed's deli in Natick MA--replaced by Zaftig's, where I think I got an egg cream when I visited my son during his Christmas break). one of my probs is that I prefer a vanilla egg cream, whereas chocolate is standard.

ASIDE
Speaking of old-timey eats, I'm fixing strawberry-rhubarb sauce over vanilla ice cream for dinner company tonight.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19136 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/24/2014 5:15 PM
You all are making me feel SO YOUNG!

Utahtea

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19137 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/24/2014 5:28 PM
You all are making me feel SO YOUNG!

Utahtea

Utahtea,

I doubt whether you'll meet many 65 year olds who are as young as I am, in mind, body and spirit!
I walked 10,000 steps today and 6 miles on my exercise bike and I broke my arm 5 weeks ago and still recovering.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19138 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/24/2014 5:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
When I was growing up.....we seldom ate out or went anywhere.

A real treat in the summer time might be stopping by, a few times a year, a place similar to a DQ...where you could park and you could stop and order an ice cream cone...softee type.

I do recall some of the drug stores had a 'fountain' but I think most folks were ordering a 'malted'....milk shake with some ice cream. We didn't do that but had home made ones. My allowance didn't go far and I usually spent it on balsa airplanes or caps for a cap gun or similar...not food since I could get that at home.

Never heard of an egg cream back then.

We'd go to the 'store' about 1/2 mile walk from the summer place now and then. The soda machine was a big thing full of ice and a 'rack' where you pulled the one you wanted along the rack to an opening, put in your money, and pulled your soda up and out of the box. But most of the time we didn't spend money on soda.....that was 10c. We bought a few pieces of penny candy or maybe a Chuckles package for 5c.

Let's see..that was in the 1950s.....

on a Saturday night, if the family didn't go to the Drive INn about15 miles away (a few times a summer) we might go to the 'club house' where the association that owned the lake - showed some old western or similar....for five or 10cents..... there wasn't much for teenagers to do at the summer place other than entertain ourselves or watch 'adult comedy' TV like was on the 2 or 3 channels of TV we could get. Boring for kids.

I"m not sure I ever bought a 'malted' but other kids did.

t.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19139 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/24/2014 9:40 PM
Utahtea,

I doubt whether you'll meet many 65 year olds who are as young as I am, in mind, body and spirit!
I walked 10,000 steps today and 6 miles on my exercise bike and I broke my arm 5 weeks ago and still recovering.

Brooklyn1948,

I'm just a couple years younger than you. The thread was on what we remembered and I was to young for some of the things that were being discussed....that's what made me feel young.

OUCH...sorry to hear about your arm. Congrats on the 10,000 steps walked and the 6 miles on the bike. Do you do that every day?

I had abdominal surgery 8 weeks ago and couldn't even stand for long periods of time until week 4. At week 5 we went to Zion National Park and we were averaging almost 5 miles a day for the 7 days we were there.
Since we've been back home DH and I try to get our 3 1/3 miles in as much as possible but we've been having to deal with his father's estate for the last several months and it can be SO time consuming. We spent the last 7 out of the last 10 days at his house working so that's had to be our exercise.

Utahtea

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19140 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 6:42 AM
I had abdominal surgery 8 weeks ago and couldn't even stand for long periods of time until week 4. At week 5 we went to Zion National Park and we were averaging almost 5 miles a day for the 7 days we were there.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your surgery but it sounds like you are on the mend and putting me to shame with all the walking you have been doing recently.
When my parents were in their 50's, they looked and acted old. They drank and smoked a lot. No one jogged. As a matter of fact, no one walked anywhere other than going from the house to the car in the driveway.
I have neighbors who are in their 80's who put me to shame. They are a very hardy group here in New England!

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19141 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 7:45 AM
Recommendations: 6
Well, I'm 77 now, so that makes my two knee replacements seven years old. My little dog, a ten pound Havanese, walks me around the block two or three times a day if the weather is agreeable. Once around the block is .4 miles, so three times a day gets me walking over a mile.

I also work in my garden many happy hours from spring through fall. It keeps me young. (During the winter months, I sit around and deteriorate.)

Just last night, as we sat around the table at my daughter's house, my grandson, who is 14, was remarking about his fears for the future - seas rising, a projected world population of nine billion in just a few decades, polluted air and water, dwindling wildlife and disappearing species, etc. We tried to reassure him that every generation has it's problems and fears. DD and SIL described life without cell phones and internet, etc. He was shocked when DD spoke of how, when she was a child, television reception turned OFF at around 11PM, after each network played the Star-Spangled Banner, and then everyone just went to bed.

Then I related some of what I remembered were the fears and hardships of my childhood. I spoke of gas and food rationing during WWII, and the gold stars displayed on the windows of neighbors who had lost sons in the war. I described how each summer, we were not allowed to go to community pools or to movie theaters for fear of being exposed to polio. I told him of old people I frequently saw who were pockmarked with scars from having survived smallpox in their youth. I told him of the parades on Memorial Day, where the many remaining veterans of the First World War, many with missing limbs, would march together.

I told him that we had the very first television on the block, with a seven inch screen, and how the neighbors brought over folding chairs and we sat in rows to watch it. I told him that we had no telephone. No frozen food. No fast food. My mother or grandmother cooked all our meals. The first time I ever ate in a restaurant I was 18 years old!

I could have gone on and on, astounding him.

I guess I'm old.

Trini

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19142 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 10:01 AM
Trini:"I guess I'm old."

You don't have to be 'very old' to remember when there were no cellphones. Heck, I worked on one of the first cellular phone systems and put it into operation in 1984/85. THere were no cellphones before then. And in that time, you had car phones with outside antennas, and 'bag phones' that weighed five pounds, and had a handset. Portables were $5000 each and were very scarce. Your monthly bill was $200/month for just 100 minutes a month of air time, and then another 25c/minute was charged. No text. No wireless internet. Heck, I don't even think we had 'internet' in 1985.

That was about the time you had AOL mail as in "You've Got Mail".....and MCI Mail, one of the first 'Email services' that existed. The 'World Wide Web' and browsers had yet to be created...or were just starting.

PCs, ala IBM "PC" or clones were over 1000 bucks and that was with a few hundred kilobytes of memory and 256K floppy disc drives, and a really big 10 meg hard drive.

There wasn't anything 'held held'. Oh, you could buy a 'portable' for $2000 or $3000...like a KayPro or Osborne.....

Your 'game computer' was a Commodore 64....or one of the plug in cartridge machines......

I even remember black and white TV......I think my grandparents had the first...about 7 inch set.....fixed channels..there were only 4 or 5 in the big NYC area.....one knob and they were labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. That was it.

I went off to college and my parents got a color TV set (about 1965).....came home on week off and saw Star Trek in color...wow.... I was amazed.....all those colored knobs on the console.... now you have HD sets with Blue Ray DVDs.....and 3D TV.... which seems as popular as Quadrisonic Sound - which went no where. ......

Most kids don't even know what VHS and Beta machines were.....in the history bin along with 8 tracks and casettes and reel to reel tape.....and even phonograph records from 78, 45, 33 1/3rd....

Now kids talk of 'ancient' video game consoles....from 15 or 20 years ago as 'ancient history'...... or ancient video games.... don't even try to talk to them about Pong and video machines that used to be in every pizza parlor and sports bar.....

Well, my mother would talk of 'Penny Post Cards'.....and Five and Dime stores.... and service stations where they pumped your gas, checked your tire pressure, checked your oil level.....and washed your windshield......and wore spiffy uniforms.....and 'ironing'.....and hanging laundry out on 'the wash line'.....and 'pressure cookers'....
or calling "long distance' on special occasions like xmas to family members.....

t.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19143 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 11:34 AM
My MIL is 88. She and her daughter are now in Germany for a week. Neither had ever traveled outside the U.S.

She flew from Texas to stay at her daughter's house in Pennsylvania for a couple of days before the trip and will stay a couple of days after their return before returning to Texas. That's her nod to age.

She is definitely slowing down, but still manages to teach an exercise class and line dancing classes at her retirement center.

She makes me feel OLD! :)

Chili

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19144 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 2:44 PM
I guess I'm old.

Trini

Nah. Not old. You got better with age!
Loved your story.
I have three grandchildren and the amount of money and time spent to entertain them is mind boggling.
The five of us (parents and 3 kids) lived in a basement apartment in Brooklyn. It was really cramped but we spent almost all of our time outside, riding bikes, playing stoop ball, catching fireflies, etc.
A skate key cost all of 5 cents but that was a lot of money 60 years ago so I was fearful of losing mine.
I remember digging to China in the tiny little backyard that was not much bigger than a postage stamp, or so it seemed.
My daughter runs herself ragged trying to keep her kids from getting bored.
I cannot imagine actually telling my mother that I was bored. There'd have been heck to pay, for sure.
Oh, and the word "jogging" didn't exist.
Playdates???? That word didn't exist either.
Bored?. Only boring people get bored!

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19145 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/25/2014 2:45 PM
She is definitely slowing down, but still manages to teach an exercise class and line dancing classes at her retirement center.

I am 22 years younger than your grandma and she puts me to shame!
Good for her!!!
I hope she enjoys her trip.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19146 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/26/2014 5:03 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your surgery but it sounds like you are on the mend and putting me to shame with all the walking you have been doing recently.

When my parents were in their 50's, they looked and acted old. They drank and smoked a lot. No one jogged. As a matter of fact, no one walked anywhere other than going from the house to the car in the driveway.
I have neighbors who are in their 80's who put me to shame. They are a very hardy group here in New England!

That surgery was a piece of cake compared to the one I had 10 months ago! That one took forever to get back on my feet. But it's all good and behind me now.

I know what you mean about looking old at 50. My MIL was that way. I loved her dearly and she lived to 86 but she was of that generation that looked old very early. My Mom on the other hand was 10 years younger than my MIL and even at 83 she still goes to the gym 5 or 6 times a week. She has one friend a year older than her and my Mom says if her friend can do it....so can she.

I love hiking in the national parks and can do so many more miles than I would ever think of doing at home. We meet all kinds when we are camping and there are so many of seniors out there that are physically fit and put DH and I to shame!

Utahtea

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19147 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/26/2014 10:55 PM
Well, my mother would talk of 'Penny Post Cards'.....and Five and Dime stores.... and service stations where they pumped your gas, checked your tire pressure, checked your oil level.....and washed your windshield......and wore spiffy uniforms.....and 'ironing'.....and hanging laundry out on 'the wash line'.....and 'pressure cookers'....
or calling "long distance' on special occasions like xmas to family members…..

Heck, I'm a year or two younger than you, and I remember five & dimes and the like…in the NYC burbs we had Woolworth, Newberry, Kresge…my father sold housewares to them.

I remember having my gas pumped for me, oil checked, windshield washed, tire pressure checked if you asked, up to around 1980 IIRC.

Ironing was my job by age 8 or 9. Also folding clothes, putting them away in everyone's drawers/closets, dusting, and setting the dining table for company. (All my brothers had to do was take turns taking out the trash, about a one-minute job once every 1 or 2 days!)

I had a washer but not a dryer as a young mother in the 70s to mid-80s. I hung out the wash outdoors in nice weather, and indoors on two big wooden racks in cold/rainy weather. My daughter tells me one of her favorite childhood memories was handing me the clothespins, and putting them in the basket when I took down the dried clothes. Kids really do like to help at that age (3-8). I just bought my 3 1/2 year old grandson a child-size broom and dustpan set for next time I see him.

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19148 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/26/2014 11:44 PM
Well, my mother would talk of 'Penny Post Cards'....

My friend used to ask (rhetorically) "How much is a penny post card nowadays?"

CNC

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19149 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 2:10 AM
DD and SIL described life without cell phones and internet, etc.

My mom is your age, and I hear stories about party lines.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19150 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 10:48 AM
"Heck, I'm a year or two younger than you, and I remember five & dimes and the like…in the NYC burbs we had Woolworth, Newberry, Kresge…my father sold housewares to them.

I remember having my gas pumped for me, oil checked, windshield washed, tire pressure checked if you asked, up to around 1980 IIRC."

If you live in NJ or OR, they still pump your gas...by law.....but I doubt they do the windshield and there is no need to check the oil.

As I kid, I remember getting gas at 'full service' stations...but by the time I had a car, at least in NY state, it was pump your own.....and I put Sunoco 190 into the 11 year old VW bug....a couple gallons at a time.....lowest price I remember was 27c/gal....but I was making all of $1.10/hr part time in the EE department. That summer I made about $3/hr which was great pay for the 10 week summer gig.

We had a Five and Dime store 5 miles from the summer place..maybe saw it a few times during the summer and we might have gone in it..

Yeah, my mom didn't get a dryer till I was 18...so things hung out on the line or in the basement. I couldn't wait to get 'permanent press' shirts and pants and never ironed anything myself. I had a small iron but I used it to make grilled cheese sandwiches. You wrapped sandwich in aluminum foil, put iron on top, and it would melt the cheese. Wouldn't brown the bread though.

I got a dryer 3 years later when I got my washer. The only thing that gets sun dried here are towels and jeans..... and some shirts hang in the bathroom since they can't go through dryer (plastic appliques/designs and such that 'melt' in a dryer...

t.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19151 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 2:57 PM
The purpose of global warming is to give young people something to worry about.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19152 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 3:18 PM

I recently put a metal roof on our home, and have been looking at a lot of sites on metal roofs lately. One site claimed that if everyone put a white roof on their house, metal or otherwise, it would reflect so much sunlight that it would more than offset any warming trends.

Nice PR, but we put on Hunter Green. Maybe we will put some solar panels on top of that. ;-)

IP,
ducking and running

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19154 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 6:05 PM
I hear stories about party lines.

Oh golly, I had forgotten about that. We had a rotten party line. It was awful. I am a year older than Trini....I remember 10¢ movie matinees....and the world news to begin with, most of about "the war." I remember Sunday nights listening to Jack Benny, Fibber Mcgee and Molly, Edgar Bergman and after school...The Shadow and the Lone Ranger. We were one of the first in Larchmont to get a TV....the screen was tiny in a huge cabinet. My mother hated it! But my father loved to watch wrestling until he learned sometime later that it was all fixed. We watched Howdy Doody after school. We had great soda fountains...creme soda and cherry coke. Wonderful hamburgers. When I started to drive with a junior license, gas was 21¢ per gal. Driving was pretty safe because there just were not all that many people on the roads. We would drive into NYC to see my grandparents in their apartment and once all the cousins got money to see Sarah Vaughan.

Life was so different then. We "oldies" should feel so blessed that we grew up and lived in the best era ever.

Birgit

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19155 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 6:05 PM

How young is young? I have two daughters who are about 40 years of age, both college educated. I have never once heard them mention global warming. They are focused on their children, husbands, careers.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19156 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 6:10 PM
I don't know about global warning...but something not good is happening with weather world wide. This fall I installed a "whole house" generator....guess what? It has turned on twice during electric outages. Well, one time it was a raccoon that fried itself on the electric wire.

Birgit

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19157 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 7:35 PM
" We had a rotten party line. It was awful.'

My dad worked for the phone company. So we had a 'private line' although there were lots of private lines still around but they were fading fast in the 1950s in suburbia.....

"I am a year older than Trini....I remember 10¢ movie matinees....and the world news to begin with, most of about "the war.""

Well.....there wasn't much about the Korean War (they didn't even call it a war but a police action)..that I remember.....we only got to the movies a few times a year - it was 5 miles away....and we just did other things like go ice skating or hiking or on a picnic on weekends. And it was way too far to walk from our house in 'new suburbia'....like five or 8 miles each way to the movie theater. Come to think of it there wasn't anything around but more houses and houses. My elementary school was 0.6 miles away....after the first few years when mom took us there in the car, I rode a bike for the next 10 years...till last years in high school when I got a ride in a neighbors car pool.....

"I remember Sunday nights listening to Jack Benny, Fibber Mcgee and Molly, Edgar Bergman and after school...The Shadow and the Lone Ranger. "

Well, that puts you a decade back.....I think the first TV I saw was when I was five or six. My grandparents had a 5 inch one with a magnifier so more than 2 could watch. It was a year or two later that my parents got one.....

Never listened to radio programs....other than rock and roll starting in mid 50s.....

"We were one of the first in Larchmont to get a TV....the screen was tiny in a huge cabinet. My mother hated it! But my father loved to watch wrestling until he learned sometime later that it was all fixed. We watched Howdy Doody after school"

Yep, Howdy Doody and Clarabell and the Peanut Gallery.....and the Saturday morning cartoons if we were home. Often gone on weekends....for two reasons..parents liked outdoors and my dad was often 'called in' if he was 'available' on weekends for extra work. About 1 in 6t weeks he was 'in charge' of any emergencies ....the other five weeks he made himself scarce....we had a summer place....and rule #1 was 'there won't be a phone'. Peace and quiet and he couldn't be reached on his days off.

Yeah...the 'boomers' had a decent time to grow up...... if you leave out the Korean War, the Vietnam War.....and the diversion of the hippies and hallucinogenic drugs.....where some never came back...literally and figuratively...

Would I want to grow up today? I guess I'd turn out OK...but there's a lot more craziness out there. I don't think kids appreciate what they have.....well, many......

but I'm not walking in their shoes...

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19158 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 7:50 PM
"I don't know about global warning...but something not good is happening with weather world wide"

It's called climate shift.

Thousands of years ago, the Sahara was a green verdant land of plenty, roaming with wildlife. A 'savannah' with millions of wild animals and also human cities of thousands or more.

then, about 8000 years ago, the orbit/wobble of the Earth changed with the 25,000 year and other interval Milankovic cycles....and over a few hundred years, that part of Africa dried out. It turned into a desert. Folks moved to the Nile Valley and the great Egyptian civilization arose. Thanks to climate shift.

Rivers used to run in Saudi Arabia...thousands of years ago. Not any more. Now we just find , by satellite, where they used to be and where the cities of old times used to be.

Nothing to do with CO2

The Little Ice Age happened not all that long ago. 50 years where the canals of the Dutch froze in the winter time and they ice skated. Why did we have a WORLDWIDE Little Ice Age? The sunspots went away for over 100 years. Simply vanished. Normal solar cycles.

The Little Ice Age was one of the things that triggered the French Revolution.....did you know that? THe peasants were starving. The Germans had the potato that survived the cold weather. The French, stubborn as they were, refused to eat potatoes and tried to grow things above ground...and they were killed by frost and bad weather. So they starved...and the King couldn't/wouldn't provide backup food. thus revolution.....

But you won't hear the global warming hypists even mention that. They simply forget about it, or start their 'rise' after we had 50 years of way below temps worldwide.....

Oh, right..you start from 2 below normal.....and in the next 100 years, wow!...the Earth has warmed a whole 2 degrees!....back to where it was before the Little Ice Age!....but no.....Al Gore won't tell that , will he? Of course not.....they start at the low point.....

Right now, we may be headed for another period of 100 years of no sunspots....... in which case, another Little Ice Age could occur. Not warming but cooling....or at least, back to lower temps.

There has been no warming now for 17 years. The warmists are in a panic searching for the 'missing heat' and putting out alarmist stories about the polar bears disappearing (there are more now than 30 years ago and more ice cover than in the past 20 years and the ice cover grew greatly this past winter)......oh, right...they gloss over polar bears these days...another discredited bunch of malarky. same of glaciers...oh, ....panic....... but there are glaciers that have 'melted back' to points where there are whole towns that are now exposed. Now can that be? Towns from 300 and 500 years ago that were there .......oh wow..that can't be can it? THose glaciers actually GREW during the Little Ice Age, covered entire towns in europe.....and now they are getting back to where they were 500 years ago!...Normal!

BUt does Al gore tell you that? DOes Obama tell you that? Of course not.

IT's all about extracting 2 trillion from you , your utility company, yhour oil company (and of course you pay for it in higher rates and prices).....to give to 3rd world tycoons and tyrants. 2 trillion a year in carbon taxes on the 'rich' west to give to 3rd world countries (usually the leaders and corrupt business folks where it disappears into Swiss bank accounts). Of course, the 'world' is all for it. At thelast UN IPCC meeting, there were 5000 delegates from 175 countries trying to divvy up the 2 trillion a year in loot they planned to get in 'carbon taxes' ......

If you keep making up stories and promoting them 'as the truth' (like polar bears, retreating glaciers, ice shelves breaking off, etc)....with NYC 100 feet underwater, 150 degree temps ever summer, more hurricanes (actually we are at all time lows now)...etc...... you convince a lot of gullible people....and kids...indoctrinate them with librual redistribution ideas.... etc.

that's what is is all about.

t.

t.

Author: Guyb One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19159 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 10:01 PM
How many remember "Twice as much for a nickel too" and later "LSMFT"?
Can you name the products they were advertising?

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19160 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/27/2014 11:22 PM
"LSMFT"? Lucky Strike means fine tobacco.

I don't recall the "twice as much" line.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19161 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 7:39 AM
I don't recall the "twice as much" line

Pepsi, apparently. Google is a wonderful thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=twice+as+much+for+a+nickel&a...

IP

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19162 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 7:43 AM
Coke was 6oz bottles.

Pepsi came out with 12 oz bottles.

Both were a nickel.

That was the start of the bigger bottle wars......now it is up to liters.....

t.

Author: raizelsgrandson One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19163 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 9:02 AM
I grew up in the Bronx in the 50's. We used to get egg creams all the time. One time while travelling through the south in the 50's, we stopped at a soda fountain and ordered egg creams. The waitress brought us a hard-boiled egg in a plate of sour cream.

My family has been laughing at that for over 50 years.

I remember gas at 0.19 and going to a gas station and asking for "a dollars worth". Remember nik-l-nips and dots on paper. I remember playing all types of sidewalk games such as skelly, three-box-baseball, ring-alevio and playing stickball in the street where three sewers was a home run and we had to hide the sticks when the police came by.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19164 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 9:10 AM
I grew up in the Bronx in the 50's. We used to get egg creams all the time. One time while travelling through the south in the 50's, we stopped at a soda fountain and ordered egg creams. The waitress brought us a hard-boiled egg in a plate of sour cream. My family has been laughing at that for over 50 years.

Yeah, I'm from Texas and I have a few of those stories about visiting the northeast (before we actually moved to <shudder> New Jersey for six years).

My in-laws (outside Boston in the '70s) were going to the store and asked if I wanted anything in particular. A Dr Pepper was requested. They went all over town looking for one to no avail. I couldn't believe they were so backward they didn't have the best cold drink in the world!

Over a winter holiday visit, I requested iced tea with lunch and was told they only serve that in the summer. And on a summer visit I requested hot chocolate with my breakfast and was told they only serve that in the winter. They served coffee, though.

Chili
has told those stories for years

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19165 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 3:26 PM
A Dr Pepper was requested.

That should have been:

A 10-2-4 please!

....;-)

Greetings and Salutations!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19166 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 4:47 PM
and the diversion of the hippies and hallucinogenic drugs

We did come back--to work in high tech! Well, I did (hippie, no hallucinogens).

We never had a party line, but we had a phone without a dial till the late 50s. You picked up the phone, the operator said, "Number, please" and you told her the number. This was in a close-in NYC suburb! BUt we were an unincorporated village. A more civilized age, like lightsabers* instead of blasters ;-) I remember that we got a different exchange (but the same final 4 digits) when we switched to dial service. Automation…where have all the operators gone?!

* OMG, getting old…I had to google for "laser swords used by jedi" to come up with lightsaber =8^0

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19167 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/28/2014 5:04 PM
"We never had a party line, but we had a phone without a dial till the late 50s. You picked up the phone, the operator said, "Number, please" and you told her the number. This was in a close-in NYC suburb! BUt we were an unincorporated village. A more civilized age, like lightsabers* instead of blasters ;-) I remember that we got a different exchange (but the same final 4 digits) when we switched to dial service. Automation…where have all the operators gone?!"

In the 1930s and 1940s, being a 'telephone operator' was a decent paying respectable job for a woman.

HOwever, due to one incident where Mr Strowger had an unscrupulous town operator divert some of his undertaking business to a competitor, he divised the step by step automatic dialing system.....and it spread like wildfire. Telcos could reduce their costs and automate. Needed some trained technicians plus had to make investments in the plant (hundreds of millions) but long term, cheaper. That got the operator out of the loop through the 30s and 40s and 50s....

After that, the only time you ever got to an operator is if you dialed "O" for operator....and wanted to make a 'long distance' call that took operator intervention.

Not long after that, they came up with standardized area codes so you could dial long distance from your own phone.

We had one of the first 'push button' phones...(dad worked for the phone company' - and had 3 or 4 extensions...although back then you were supposed to be 'renting' them from the phone company. You could not own your phone. They charged you extra for a color phone, extra for a push button phone....and if you wanted a Princess phone..wowie! they'd sock it to you.

No answering machines either. You could pay to have an answering service ($$$) if you were a business person...... you could not connect anything to the phone line that wasn't Ma Bell....or GTE...if you lived in their area....

Slowly that changed.....slowly...over 2 decades...you could buy your own phone.....push button wasn't any more.....you could buy an answering machine (remember the clunky cassette ones?)...

Then MCI came along and busted open the long distance market.....

And cellular came long.....

And then the internet....well, first AOL On Line and AOL Mail and MCI Mail......then the internet.

I remember getting on Ebay through AOL On LIne.....their clunky interface......

I remember myh Radio Shack TRS-80.....and Commodore 64...then PC XT, PC AT....RAdio Shack 100 portable computer.....it went by pretty quick...... electric pencil for a word processor on the TRS-80....
programming in BASIC....and PASCAL......

Well, that's ancient history...was an interesting time.....

I even had my pet goldfish and pet turtles....although they didn't seem to thrive in our household....

I ate lots of hot dogs as a kid...didn't like hamburgers back then.....
and potato chips....and corn on the cob.....and milk.....seems to be we didn't eat a whole lot of fruit back then. I do remember some water melons at picnics.....big mess eating them.....but the kids loved big messes.....

t.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19168 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/30/2014 7:00 PM
You picked up the phone, the operator said, "Number, please" and you told her the number.

Yes, that's the way it worked....and if you were a naughty kid asking if they had Prince Albert in a can, the operator got mad at you.

And....anyone still have their Green Stamps?

Birgit

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19169 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/30/2014 10:00 PM
Is your refrigerator running? You better catch it.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19170 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/30/2014 11:10 PM
And....anyone still have their Green Stamps?

FINALLY something I remember! I was going though my in-laws stuff for their estate sale and ran into a few books of the Blue Chip Stamps. I even have a few of those books myself.

Utahtea

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19171 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 6:33 AM
Ah, those green stamps! That's how we got out "Scotch Cooler," the plaid, metal, round, insulated container that we took to the beach all summer to keep our sandwiches and drinks cold.

Green stamps gave us something for nothing, and everyone post-depression was frugal enough to love anything free. My FIL was always opening new bank accounts to get a free toaster or other prize. And we always went to movies on whatever day of the week it was when they gave you a free drinking glass. Some gas stations also had promotions where they gave you a dish or a glass, and supermarkets also had promotions where they offered a set of dishes and each week gave shoppers one piece of the set free. Our kitchen was filled with mismatched dinnerware, often covered with logos, from such events. My in-laws also smoked a brand of cigarettes that they really didn't prefer, because each pack contained a coupon you could save to get free merchandise.

Trini

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19172 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 10:29 AM
"Ah, those green stamps!"

S&H Green Stamps....I remember them but the family didn't do much with them.

Kids would demand certain brands of cereal...if you collected so many box tops and sent them in with 25c or so for postage, you'd get a 'free prize' or trinket......maybe a 'decoder ring' or something like that.

Bubblegum had baseball cards.....that kids would trade around..... (before that they came in tobacco packets)......

In the 1950s, every kid was collecting postage stamps. Now, you can't even give away the albums and stamps.....maybe a penny a piece for the cancelled ones, and basically face value to a penny more for unused stamps. They stores will tell you to simply use up the unused postage. They really don't want it. Nor the albums unless it contains the really rare ones you couldn't afford back then either.

OH,and 'stamps on approval'? And giant bags of stamps for a few bucks with 1000 stamps? none of which you needed?

THen it was 'coin collecting'.....and unless you have a complete collection....it's not worth a whole lot unless it is Indian head pennies.....or silver dollars going back 150 years...

t.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19173 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 12:37 PM
Speaking of green stamps, I finished the recent book on the history of A&P. See Books Non-fiction--

http://boards.fool.com/great-ap-and-the-struggle-for-small-b...

Trading stamps date from the 1870s and have been through several rounds of popularity. They get cut from time to time so stores can cut prices and be more competitive. But then they come back for an edge on the competition.

Its a well developed method in the merchandising bag of tricks for most major chains.

A&P was the leader of the industry for so long and the largest US retailer (bigger than Sears). The book is quite a read. I did not know they were the leading retailer of fresh produce (until forced to sell by antitrust in the 50s).

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19174 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 1:06 PM
A&P was the leader of the industry for so long and the largest US retailer (bigger than Sears). The book is quite a read. I did not know they were the leading retailer of fresh produce (until forced to sell by antitrust in the 50s).

My first real job was at the A&P. I worked there right after school.
I still remember some of the people I worked with even though it was nearly 50 years ago. Kids were very different back then.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19175 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 1:32 PM
"A&P was the leader of the industry for so long and the largest US retailer (bigger than Sears). The book is quite a read. I did not know they were the leading retailer of fresh produce (until forced to sell by antitrust in the 50s). "

My mom shopped 99% of the time at the A&P store in River Edge NJ.....they were some of the first to have 'frozen foods' too.....

At some point, they went bankrupt, right?

I never lived in an area with A&P stores.... but I watched Food Lion go bust...and Albertson's cratered to almost zero....

t.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19176 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 5/31/2014 1:54 PM
At some point, they went bankrupt, right?

Yes, as the review shows, their strong leadership trend began to decline after the death of John A. Hartford, in 1951. But they also stayed downtown in leased stores rather than buy prime property in the suburbs. So the lost out in the move to the suburbs. Management seemed traditional bound and unable to adapt. The foundation that inherited the company wanted dividends. So they began a long decline. The company was finally sold to Tengelmann, a German grocer, in 1979 for a fraction of its previous value. And finally sank into bankruptcy.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19177 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 12:45 AM
anyone still have their Green Stamps?

My daughter uses the silverware that my grandmother bought for me with green stamps when I was newly married in the 70s.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19178 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 1:00 AM
Speaking of food stores, I'm just old enough to remember sawdust on the floor in butcher shops--and pickle barrels. And the small selection of produce that expanded in summer. I remember when skirt steak was cheap coz nobody wanted it, eggs were often fertilized (had a red spot on the yolk, frozen vegetables weren't slathered in a sauce, milk was whole or skim and came in glass bottles with paper tops--and could be delivered to the insulated box by your door from the local dairy.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19179 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 9:59 AM
alstro:"Speaking of food stores, I'm just old enough to remember sawdust on the floor in butcher shops--and pickle barrels."

The Sprouts store here has a pickle barrel....and you can buy 300 items from bins....seeds, nuts, olives, etc.....

-------

alstro:" And the small selection of produce that expanded in summer."

YOu only had 'local' then. Too expensive to haul from CA to the east coast. About the only thing you got was oranges.....and apples....

-------

alstro:"frozen vegetables weren't slathered in a sauce,"

You can still buy frozen things that are only the veggies. Walmart sells bags of Bird's eye broccoli..,nothing but broccoli in the bag...same for green beans and corn.....

Look harder....

-----------

alstro:" milk was whole or skim and came in glass bottles with paper tops--and could be delivered to the insulated box by your door from the local dairy. "

We had the milk man in NJ......put I never remember skim milk.....if mom was making something, she'd special order a bottle of 'cream'.....
I think we had a bread man deliver stuff too!....

Well, you can now get Stouffers stuff ( I think it is that) delivered to your door...Frozen stuff...from meat to dinners, etc.. I forget who it is for sure. My mom used their services for a while.....or maybe it is Swann? And of course, the water man delivers bottles of water if you pay for it.....

but no milk delivery.....

And if the milk froze in the insulated box, it would pop off the paper top......which happened more than once....

Things are still a LOT better today with vastly better food selection, better food prices (folks spend 1/2 of what they did back then from their income for food)....and you can buy milk here at 10 different places within five miles. THe nearest I can walk to (1/2 mile)....

t.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19180 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 1:40 PM
I still remember the days before homogenized milk when cream floated to the top of the milk bottle. And was mostly used as cream in coffee or in cooking. We still got such milk delivered in the early 1950s from a local dairy.

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19181 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 1:54 PM
Well, you can now get Stouffers stuff ( I think it is that) delivered to your door...Frozen stuff...from meat to dinners, etc.. I forget who it is for sure. My mom used their services for a while.....or maybe it is Swann?
I think you are speaking of http://www.schwans.com/

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19182 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 3:16 PM
I still remember the days before homogenized milk when cream floated to the top of the milk bottle. And was mostly used as cream in coffee or in cooking. We still got such milk delivered in the early 1950s from a local dairy.

When I was young (late 60s, early 70s), I used to ride my bike to a dairy farm a couple miles away and bring home milk in aluminum milk jugs (with the wire loop handles). To this day I can't pour a glass of milk without shaking the carton first.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19183 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/2/2014 4:46 PM
Schwanns....yep...

My mom lived 15 miles from the nearest store...as she approached 80, didn't drive as much...the arthritis bothered her after hour in the car....

The Schwanns guy delivered right to the door once a week.....she liked it...

We got the same around here, but I got food stores in every direction no more than 2-3 miles away.....and they got good food.

For a senior....this could be a good deal..especially in the winter with bad road conditions...they do the driving and delivering to your door. Not cheap...but falling on ice isn't cheap either!

t.

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19185 of 19314
Subject: Re: If you're old enough... Date: 6/3/2014 11:19 PM
and later "LSMFT"?

+++
+++

Which stood for

Lord Save Me From Truman!

in my neighborhood.

Corruption in Truman's administration, which was linked to certain members in the cabinet and senior White House staff, was a central issue in the 1952 presidential campaign which Adlai Stevenson, Truman's successor as Democratic nominee, . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman

sunrayman
NOT a voter in the 1952 elections

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement