Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you're worried about personal liability in excess of the funds invested, you'll need one of the forms of organization you mention, and each of which require filing with your state's dept. of corporations or whatever it's called.

If liability is not a concern, a partnership is simple. There's no need for articles of incorporation to be filed with the state, no need for bylaws, operating agreements, etc., so you can get going with a lot less paperwork. You ought to talk to a lawyer, though --- focus on the legal issues, not the taxes, because the S-corp, LLC and partnership are substantially the same taxwise.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.