UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58832  
Subject: Re: Wisconsin State Health Care Reform ... Date: 7/24/2007 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
,i>A payroll tax is one of the worst ways to fund health care in the general case, because it punishes work over choosing not to work. It pains me to say that as someone who hopes to FIRE within 10 years, but there's no way the taxpayers should be giving me a free ride if I have the financial goof fortunate to be able to do so. Heck, if the taxpayers gave me a free ride I could probably FIRE in 5 years, not 10.

So what's different from now? The tax laws already favor not working vs. working. I'm retired. One advantage I have over you is that I have complete control over my income, and substantial control over my taxes as a result. It won't matter until I'm about 71 (when I'm subject to the minimum required distribution rule http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/news/20010321b.asp ) what goes into the IRA as income/capital gains. I won't be taxed on anything that isn't withdrawn. I do have a taxable account, but the only thing in it is 1300 shares of AAPL. I don't plan to sell that for a while. AAPL pays no dividend, so there's not even the 15% tax on dividends. Furthermore, even when I sell AAPL, because I've kept (and intend to keep) my marginal tax rate at 15%, I'll only have to pay 10% of the gain to the Feds.

Unearned income is treated differently than earned income. Even if you and I had identical realized incomes and identical deductions, I'd still pay lower Federal taxes than you do because unearned income is not subject to SS and Medicare taxes nor is it subject to the state disability tax. Unfair as that may be, that's the situation now.

Maybe sometime in the future unearned income will be subject to the taxes mentioned above. If so, it's probably going to be a while before that happens. In any case, you will be getting a "free" ride in 10 years if nothing changes.

Again, it's my intention to keep my marginal tax rate at 15% The last time I looked at Federal tax tables, my wife and I could have an AGI of up to $81k before moving into the next bracket. That gives us lots of wiggle room, especially since we have no debt. Debt service requires additional taxable income. It's never made sense to me to pay $1.00 in interest to save cents in taxes.

Churchy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement