Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
iI have read the FAQ but still have questions. Bear in mind that I am looking at taxes for next
April,(tax year 2000)
Since I have retired this year, I will have income from receipt of my retirement in company
stock. Also expect to sell some of that stock later in the year incurring LTCG with no
withholding in either case. Hence, estimated taxes are due. Am I understanding correctly that I
need to pay quarterly, an amount equal to my total tax liability for year 1999? Will this
prevent a penalty even though I may actually owe more at the end of the year?

That's 1/4 of your 1999 tax liability each quarter. If you expect year 2000 taxes to be lower you can try the other methods: 1/4 of 90% of 2000 estimated taxes, or actually compute the annualized income tax liability for each quarter. We have a calculator to do this on

You should get Form 2210 to see how this all works.

ALSO you mention taking income for receipt of company stock. If you were born before 1936 you should get Form 4972 and see if 10 year averaging on a lump sum distribution would benefit you. Ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.