Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (96) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439314  
Subject: Re: Americans die sooner Date: 1/10/2013 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
IIRC, it didn't even have that -- it had a specification specifically *allowing* medicare funds to be used for discussions and counseling about hospice and end-of-life care with the patients involved, *for patients that wanted it*.

I know - a very tentative step indeed. However, even that step provoked considerable vitriol. I only heard two even remotely plausible arguments why that might be a concern: i) when it comes to Medicare, anything that doctors can get paid for will be aggressively promoted to every patient they possibly can (even when it's not appropriate); and ii) this was a 'nose under the camel's tent' provision that would lead to more aggressive efforts to tamp down on spending in the old-old cohort. The first seemed like it might be a legitimate concern (though I don't find it to be all that negative, honestly), while the second is such a common objection to legislation on both sides it's hard to really evaluate.

Again, though, that's my point. Anything that comes anywhere close to looking like it might possible have something to do with approaching the proximity of creating a remote chance of taking money from old people's health care and reallocating it elsewhere is going to raise a political outcry. So it never gets discussed much.

Albaby
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (96) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement