Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[I]It isn't that easy. The giver must file a gift tax return and the amount is taken against her lifetime unified estate and gift tax credit.[/i]

That sounds like a pain. I think I'll just tell grandma to only give us 24K. (Ha, only, that just sounds crazy.)

If grandma gives us the 24K in cash, and then when we move in decides to give us a housewarming present of some new furniture or pay for painters or what have you, does that count? Or is it only cash gift that count? BTW, I'm not interested in knowing what I can probably get away with not claiming, I really only want to know what I can legally not claim on taxes.

Thanks again,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.