UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Steve819 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 29  
Subject: Re: Canadien Eateries Date: 11/1/2006 2:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'll admit, I'm not that familar with income trusts and how they work.

As I understand it, today's annoucement means that all income trusts will be taxed as corporations, and the tax benenfits for using this type of corporate structure are eliminated. This is scaled in for current trusts, with full taxation occuring in a few years. This is obviously a huge negative for all income trusts, and they are down quite a bit across the board in response.

I've been looking, but I can't find out exactly what the impact will be on these trusts - ie. income tax rates are x%, and will move to x% in a few years. Does anyone know anything about that? It will be interesting to see what the trusts do in response - perhaps there is another loophole that will be exploited going forward. I saw something over on the Canada board on Fool.com about the U.S divvy rate moving from 15% to 41%.

Timmy's guided towards 34% tax rates going forward which is comparable with U.S corporations, so it seems like the Canadian govt is simply moving to close a loophole and move their tax revenues to more in-line with U.S tax rates. That seems to make sense, even if it makes a lot of Canadians mad.

Anyone see any great bargains? This would make a great mid-issue update for the GG brain trust IMO. I'm leery of the oil and gas trusts because I think the oil/gas run-up is largely done, but I am looking closely now at the two Matthew mentioned, as well as Sleep County.

Insight appreciated. This could be a time when fortunes are made...

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement