UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Coming to terms. Date: 2/23/2014 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'll also start taking steps to figure out a budget. It will be quite difficult to nail down with the size of our household and all the irregular stuff, but I'll attempt it. Good news is that my 2014 income will be up another 10K +/-, in addition to the continued savings from working from home!

Ok, let me put in a plug for YouNeedABudget. You can get a 34 day evaluation of the program free, but if you want to buy it, send me (or someone else who uses it) a private message for a 10% discount.

On the YNAB forums we're fond of saying that there's no such thing as a "normal" month, because every month, something comes up.

You keep mentioning the size of your household as being a problem for tracking, but I can't see where you said what that is?

How many of you are spending from your primary accounts?

You mentioned driver's ed class? So are there teenagers? Teens can have their own accounts and their own income to manage (even if you decide that's an allowance from you). When my kid turned 12? 13? I got her a Visabuxx card and put her allowance on that. She could pull it out as cash or use it as a debit card.

If it's just you and your spouse spending from the primary accounts, it shouldn't be that hard to nail down what needs to be accounted for. Have a place on your desk to put receipts and go through them once a week or so.

If you do decide to get YNAB, there are mobile apps and you (and anyone else spending from your accounts) can record things as they are spent, on the go.

Ishtar
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement