Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jfowler114 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18  
Subject: Re: self tender offer Date: 9/1/2000 12:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'll keep my shares and adjust my 2-3 target price slightly upward (from $15). But I'd really rather the company NOT disburse this round-about dividend of approximately $15 million. They owe about $120 million in LT debt and interest coverage is thin (1.6 times).

No doubt management thinks the jump in equity and earnings value a buyback can create for the remaining shareholders will spark an increase in share price. I hope they are right.

But my suspicion is that this buy-back is more of a maneuver between competing factions on the board.

The share are cheaper today than when I bought in last January. Price/Sales is down to 10% versus 11% in January. Price/Book is down from 33% to 23%. And price over TTM cash flow yeilds only 2.4. The lone analyst covering EBSC is calling for $0.90 per share in FY 02 Were the company earning that much today, the PE would only be 5.0, and the stock would surely double.

So I would far rather management focus its attention on proving the analyst right. I can wait patiently until then for my shares to rise.

Persuing both goals is mutually exclusive, because this company is barely profitable, three years out of bankruptcy, and can barely cover its debt service. Giving $15 million bucks to its shareholders right now is, well, foolish, not Foolish!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement