Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23740  
Subject: Re: RR: Flying Pig Marathon Date: 5/3/2005 7:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I'll let Tconi and LQueiros add their own marathon stories.

The only thing I have to add to 4's report was that the weather was absolutely perfect - just about 40 at the start and right around 60 for the finish - no wind, and not entirely sunny.

I did the half marathon and not the full.
I just wasn't ready...I kept trying to tell myself that I was - but when it came down to it, I wasn't.
This would have been my first marathon and my longest run prior to it was 2 hours. I managed to fall down a flight of stairs and slam my ankle in a car door 2 days before the race - nothing huge, but enough to leave some marks.
I ran with LQueiros to mile 9 (the half turn around) and, after much discussion, I turned around, waved her goodbye and, headed back down the hill.
Really- I just wanted to pass the Elvis impersonator again.
I probably would have been fine to 18 - but beyond that, not so much, and then I would have still been 6 miles from the finish.
I finished, and I felt fine (am a bit sore today after spending a few hours on a plane and driving yesterday), but was also glad that I hadn't tried to tough it out.
I got to see 4 come across the line and she looked like she had been running a bit - but she didn't look completely spent and her time was great. The Cincinnati support was great - all sorts of people and bands were out from the Elvis impersonator to the barbershop quartet, to the Run DMC looking guys with just BIG speakers high fiving runners on the way by...

peace & only half
t
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement