UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883701  
Subject: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/27/2013 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
* sigh *

After decades of using pockets, I finally dipped a toe into the fashion world by buying a very nice Coach handbag. Which apparently signalled to the powers that be that Coach is now common, and therefore passe:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/23/c...

Next potential step: swapping my beloved turtlenecks for the ubiquitous any-neckline-except-turtleneck-then-add-a-scarf look. I'm convinced that will be the death knell for scarves.

You know, I'm not even aiming for high fashion. Just pulled-together, and kind of preppy, would be fine. However, LBYM message to self: don't bother, just stick with the Mom jeans, sneakers, and turtlenecks.

Because which is worse:
- Frumpy, which implies above it all, but really just doesn't look good, or
- Wearing yesterday's trends, which looks like I tried and failed?

Grrrr...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877605 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/27/2013 2:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Coach is their rich auntie's label

This doesn't mean they're passe - just that it's not going to turn the heads of Gen Y - but somehow I doubt you care about buying things to impress other people.

Just because something is trendy/popular at a specific time doesn't make it passe once the popularity wanes if it's a "classic".

So if you love turtlenecks, keep buying turtlenecks.

But the "Mom Jeans" (and "dad jeans") - they need to be eradicated off the face of the planet - tapered legs and a high-waist just isn't flattering to the figure.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877606 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/27/2013 2:36 PM
Recommendations: 37
Could I ask a favor? If trends really do go out of style whenever you adopt them, would please start wearing your hat sideways and your pants below your buttocks so that we can finally put a stop to that style.

How is it possible that it is still a fashion after 25 years?

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877607 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/27/2013 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 9
But the "Mom Jeans" (and "dad jeans") - they need to be eradicated off the face of the planet - tapered legs and a high-waist just isn't flattering to the figure.

Depends on the figure, doesn't it? Not everybody should wear below-the-waist jeans.

Just no ...

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877609 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/27/2013 7:05 PM
Recommendations: 1
Let me know if you find a middle ground. I guess I'm one of the five women in the 'verse who can't wear a scarf without looking like a total doofus. I can deal with one for warmth, but the chic, update the casual outfit/add a pop of color scarf thing? Nope. Maybe if it's under a blazer, I can pull it off, but trying to accent a plain dress or top with a scarf is beyond me.

I did finally get pulled-together kind of preppy hair, though. A slightly beveled bob with a side part (visualize the convo in "Orange is the new Black re: bangs straight, or swept to the side, Mackenzie?").

Not what I want, really, but it's probably the best my hair's ever going to do.

cm,
unfashionable

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877613 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 9:59 AM
Recommendations: 0
Depends on the figure, doesn't it? Not everybody should wear below-the-waist jeans.

Below the waist jeans isn't a problem as long as one's wearing an appropriate size for that area of their body and not squishing themselves into a smaller size.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877614 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 10:01 AM
your pants below your buttocks

I really don't "get" this look for young males - I doubt they attract many women with that look. But seeing as how 10 years back or so some young females were making a point to show part of their thong underwear - I think it's only fair that men have a ridiculous turn.

Author: R0TJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877615 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 27
Could I ask a favor? If trends really do go out of style whenever you adopt them, would please start wearing your hat sideways and your pants below your buttocks so that we can finally put a stop to that style.

Because parents still hate it.

When mom and dad start wearing their jeans around their calves, it will no longer be cool.

It all comes down to this:

http://p.twimg.com/A34Rcp7CMAAQ6-E.jpg:large

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877616 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 12:07 PM

It's because people my age (40+) don't do that.

If old people would start the above, young people would pull up their pants and straighten their caps.

Fifi

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877618 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 1:51 PM
Except that people our age used to dress like that. So the style has been passed down to the next generation. I'm trying to imagine walking into high school in 1986 dressed like I had just come from Woodstock.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877619 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 1:53 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm trying to imagine walking into high school in 1986 dressed like I had just come from Woodstock.

there were always a few who did...

peace & freaks
t

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877620 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 2:56 PM
You know, I still like my waist-high jeans, some are tapered legs. Have no kids of my own, but I guess these are "mom jeans." I'm so clueless (about everything, not just fashion), I appreciate coming to the boards to learn about why kids think and feel like they do.

That's it, all of us above 40 (especially those above 50 and 60 etc.) should start wearing the hip and trendy stuff the young folks wear.

This dad decided to wear his daughter's style of short, short shorts in public.

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2013/09/13/dad-wears-short-sho...

ST

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877621 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 3:01 PM
That's it, all of us above 40 (especially those above 50 and 60 etc.) should start wearing the hip and trendy stuff the young folks wear.

I would, except that when I 45 year old bald man wears his pants hanging of his rear end, people expect him to plunge the toliet.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877622 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 3:24 PM
Recommendations: 3
This dad decided to wear his daughter's style of short, short shorts in public.

From what I saw (I think on the Today show) the teen-age daughter was 19. A little too old IMO to be labeled an "unruly teen" for how she decides to dress.

IMO there's a short window of time when the adult human body looks its best - when skin is tight and body parts are not sagging. So why shouldn't a person be able to celebrate that time if they so choose, as long as butt cheek isn't hanging out and "good china" is covered? (say it outloud if you don't know what I mean by that phrase)

In my area, occationally on a hot summer day one might see a young, fit guy jogging with no shirt on - and I appreciate those moments - if one can appreciate a flower in bloom for its beauty, why not the human form?

Author: oncqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877623 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 4:26 PM
Waist-high jeans look good on those with a waist. I think the term "mom jeans" was coined to try to make them uncool---retailers need the teens who flock to them to buy the latest "new" fashion every year (even if it is an "old" recycled trend) rather than keep what is still serviceable.

The thing that seems weird to me is that most people do not look good in low-rise jeans. Even people with long legs look dumpy and chopped-off, and those with shorter legs look worse, plus there is the muffin-top issue. This proves the point that if it were "in" to balance an old sock on one's head, some would do it.

I'm keeping my "mom jeans"---I need all the legginess I can get, and I will have the last laugh in 4 years, when they are "in" again, and still going strong.

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877624 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 9:01 PM
I think I know what you mean. I'd say go with what you like.

I can't seem to even do yesterday's trends, seeing as yesterday's trends included shrunken blazers, 3/4 sleeve shirts and wide-leg cropped pants, so it looks like I have to do either Frumpy or Marching To A Different Drummer.

I am going to try and pass off the midi skirts as the latest trend from NYC. If that doesn't work, at least the world doesn't have to look at my knees.

My turtlenecks will be staying, because I can't seem to deal with scarves.

The jeans are cowgirl jeans or nondescript below-the-waist jeans rather than mom jeans b/c mom jeans are invariably baggy in the seat.

But I am still looking for a good pair of low-heeled short boots that I can wear with a good pair of pants. Already have the very practical snow boots, but once in a while I want to dress up.

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877625 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 9:37 PM
I can't seem to even do yesterday's trends, seeing as yesterday's trends included shrunken blazers, 3/4 sleeve shirts and ...

Oh carp, those are now Yesterday's trends? Just got a 3/4 sleeve shirt this week... sigh.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877626 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 11:10 PM
For the first time in 25 years, I'm "trendy" again. I upgraded my whole wardrobe last year, and have cool clothing again for the first time since I loved in NYC.

It's been a splurge, but I feel a lot better now. Fleece and jeans was getting old (and frumpy). My New York self would have been horrified by my CA self until this year...

Still don't get expensive pocketbooks though. That's a bridge I have not crossed.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877627 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 11:24 PM
since I loved in NYC.
===============================

In love again?

Freudian slip?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877628 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 11:26 PM
Yes! And maybe...
The new wardrobe pre-dates the falling in love though, and is unrelated.
:)

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877629 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/28/2013 11:54 PM
If you just bought something, it can't be too out of style (unless you got it at Goodwill).

Check out Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross or Steinmart if you have any close by. Great stuff for good price.

I don't find outlet stores to have good deals - seem to be cheaper stuff that was never sold in the "real" stores.

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877630 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 12:54 AM
I hoped it was last year's, but maybe it's more ongoing.

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877631 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 3:10 AM
Well, I got the shirt at Wal-Mart, so not sure if we should consider them to be on the leading edge of fashion.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877632 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 3:48 AM
when a 45 year old bald man wears his pants hanging of his rear end, people expect him to plunge the toilet.

then do it!

and charge $200/hr for your services

peace & 2 hour minimums
t

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877633 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:05 AM
Recommendations: 16
"I finally dipped a toe into the fashion world by buying a very nice Coach handbag."

Get a bag that does the job, for the lowest cost possible. Don't worry about what your (mostly broke) friends and (mostly broke) co-workers think.

My wife and I are multi-millionaires. Her last two handbags have come from Target. No "name brand," but knock offs that looked, and had the functionality of "designer" bags, at about 1/10th the price. Not only were they Target, they came from a Target clearance bin. The last one she bought cost $21.99- it replaced an 8-year old "Fendi" knock off (that, I think, cost about $16).

My wife's friends and co-workers are professionals, and most have designer bags and designer clothes. They think my wife and I are weird because we don't buy designer anything, don't belong to the club, and live in a part of town well outside the area where most of the upper middle class folks live.

Yet they are stunned when they find out that my wife's "payment" on her BMW is $0 (because we paid cash for it) and our mortgage payment is also $0 (paid the house off 15 years ago).

So they have big house payments, big car payments, and Coach bags (probably bought on credit). We have a paid for house, paid for BMW, and paid for Target bags.

Clearly, we don't "get it."

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877634 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:16 AM
Full disclosure: I'm NOT "fashionable." My wife is NOT "fashionable." And we don't care.

If we ever end up wearing anything that is "in fashion," its because we bought it 10 years ago after it last went "out of fashion" and just kept wearing it until it became fashionable again. Whatever. We buy what we want, based on price and comfort, and don't give a damn what the (mostly broke) fashion ninnies think.

Our broke friends, many of whom are in debt up to their eyeballs despite good salaries, shop at Nordstrom and Saks.

We cover our multi-millionaire butts at Fallas Paredes (If you've never been to one of those, check it out- they make Walmart look pricey by comparison), Marshalls, and the like.

We don't "get it" when it comes to fashion and peer pressure.

And I hope we never do...

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877635 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:17 AM
The "Plumbers Crack" is the high fashion in France this year. Teen girls wearing their jeans low enough that the PC is showing but these girls need a nice butt to fill the rest of the jeans.

You don't have to be a teenage yourself to like the new fashion. Of course if the teen girl is showing a tattoo (tramp stamp) above the PC, it's ruining the style.

Blackduff

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877636 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 10:30 AM
If it works for you to not be "fashionable," that's great! I spent the first two years of retirement blissfully unfashionable (unless geek goth grandma is a fashion). And it worked for me because I didn't see very many people day to day.

City life seems to mean a step towards some sort of "fashionable," or dealing with feeling like I look "off" which isn't very comfortable. I thought J. Jill would be helpful but they seem to try to compensate for what they think an older woman's body looks like, so a lot of their clothes are so loose-fitting around the middle they look like maternity tops.

Not that I've found anything at Saks etc. that I really liked much better.
Although if I ever did find something there that fit right, felt right, and looked right, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Of course, that would mean going to the mall, so probably not something that's going to happen.

cm

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877637 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 11:30 AM
The jeans are cowgirl jeans

Do they have suede fringe on the sides?

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877638 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 11:40 AM
Still don't get expensive pocketbooks though. That's a bridge I have not crossed.

It's like the doll some of us carried around as little girls - it's just been replaced by a bag nowadays.

I recently bought a Pucci bag off eBay at a deep discount. It was to replace another Pucci bag I bought off eBay 3 years ago where the zipper broke and couldn't be repaired because the fabric had frayed. I now have that old one hanging in my closet as "decoration" because I love the print of the fabric.

It's something I carry around with me everywhere, so I bought something I like (and can afford).

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877639 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 12:51 PM
Waist-high jeans look good on those with a waist. I think the term "mom jeans" was coined to try to make them uncool---retailers need the teens who flock to them to buy the latest "new" fashion every year (even if it is an "old" recycled trend) rather than keep what is still serviceable.

I have a waist, I just haven't seen it in about one or two decades. I still think of jeans from the era of Jordache Jeans era, but want and prefer Wrangler style, thick denim jeans. Jordache (and Sergio Valente) commercials made jeans so desirable to me, then.

For old time's sake:

Jordache Jeans (30 second commercial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZP9i6MvSw

Sergio Valente Jeans (deluxe one minute commercial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weIFwScd21Q

The thing that seems weird to me is that most people do not look good in low-rise jeans. Even people with long legs look dumpy and chopped-off, and those with shorter legs look worse, plus there is the muffin-top issue. This proves the point that if it were "in" to balance an old sock on one's head, some would do it.

It has been so hard for me to find pants in the last decade or so, I have low-rise in my wardrobe despite the huge muffin top I expose when I have a not-long-enough top and bend. To compensate for the difficulty in pants, I have been searching for extra long tops and shirts, often baggy to accomodate my widening build.

Within the last two years, I have been mistaken to be an odd-looking man by a number of people and have had small children ask their mothers, loudly, whether or not that person (me) is a man or a woman.

My old fashioned, awkward mom jeans may designate me old and out of shape, but it shows off my extra-wide, childbearing (if not actually childborne) hips to make it clear to observant strangers above the age of 18 (but not under 10) to realize I'm female.

ST

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877640 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 12:57 PM
Also if anyone is unclear (as I still was) of the meaning of the term, "mom jeans," these two links may help increase one's understanding.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mom+jeans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYGA1n_jZ8

ST

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877641 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 1:56 PM
It's not about dropping a bunch of money on something with a label on it. It's about buying clothes that fit well, make your body look good and last. My mother bought a pair of slacks at the Goodwill that are well made and she was showing me how they don't sag because of how they are stitched.
If you are happy wearing clothes from Walmart, that's great! Those in the business world can be judged by how they look and dress (especially in sales) and it can make a difference for them.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877643 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 4:20 PM
Recommendations: 19
Well - especially as an architect - I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with the pursuit of fashion and style. If you can in fact afford what you buy. There's nothing wrong with buying trendy clothing if you can afford it. My wardrobe change has made me happy and more confident, and I can afford it - so why would someone else judge or care what I spend my money on? Totally don't get that...

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877644 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:06 PM
It has been so hard for me to find pants in the last decade or so, I have low-rise in my wardrobe despite the huge muffin top I expose when I have a not-long-enough top and bend. To compensate for the difficulty in pants, I have been searching for extra long tops and shirts, often baggy to accomodate my widening build.

For many years I have worn chinos pants that have pleats and back elastic. Yes, and a high waist. Turns out this was the only style that looked halfway decent on me and helped disguise my big belly when I didn't want to wear untucked shirts. Finding pants with pleats -- not that easy! Diguising lumps and bumps = priceless.

Within the last two years, I have been mistaken to be an odd-looking man by a number of people and have had small children ask their mothers, loudly, whether or not that person (me) is a man or a woman.

Been there & can understand completely. Also had people think I was pregnant -- such fun!!

Lower waistlines would only make it look like I don't actually have any type of waist, so not feasible at all. With some recent weight loss, a lower wasitline may be feasible but the one pair I have ("at the wasit") I find myself constantly tugging up because they feel too low. :/

And as for the straight-leg and boot cut jeans? Yech. For a large person, the straight leg openings are proportional to the thigh width and can be 16" or more. And boot cut is worse: basically bell-bottom jeans flapping all over the place.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877645 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:17 PM
Those in the business world can be judged by how they look and dress (especially in sales) and it can make a difference for them.

The same is true for the car they drive.

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877646 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:28 PM
Wait. . .turtlenecks = bad? I've decided I was built for Mom jeans. And there doesn't seem to be anything between a turtle neck and a top which displays a great deal of boob. Not a good look for a 60-year-old. Crap. My teenagers are right about my fashion sense.

Gail

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877647 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:47 PM
And there doesn't seem to be anything between a turtle neck and a top which displays a great deal of boob.

Have you tried Kohls? I have found tops that have a U or V neck that aren't inappropriate low for a woman over 50.

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877649 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 5:53 PM
Try a U or V neck with an infinity scarf (circle scarf). They are in style and help hide the cleavage.

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877650 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/29/2013 7:40 PM
Wait. . .turtlenecks = bad?

Not in North Dakota, dear.

In ND turtlenecks are the height of fashion (and survival).

And there doesn't seem to be anything between a turtle neck and a top which displays a great deal of boob.

So I have finally unpacked a bunch of boxes of old clothes and found a lot of mock turtlenecks (hello the 90's!). Not sure if they are in style ... Anyone?

Things that are apparently "in style" that I hate: really long skinny sleeves (even on Plus Sizes -- wait, what?!), really short sleeves (hellloo, triceps flab!), built out busts on blazers (wait, how big am I supposed to be?), low cut slacks + wide legs, and the idea that all women wear really high heels such that inseams are cut for that.

Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877652 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 1:35 AM
Try a U or V neck with an infinity scarf (circle scarf). They are in style and help hide the cleavage.

Or a camisole underneath; there are some with lace at the neckline for just such a purpose.

Minxie

Example:

http://www.herroom.com/vanity-fair-17003-illumination-lace-c...

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877657 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 7:43 AM
Well - especially as an architect - I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with the pursuit of fashion and style. If you can in fact afford what you buy. There's nothing wrong with buying trendy clothing if you can afford it. My wardrobe change has made me happy and more confident, and I can afford it - so why would someone else judge or care what I spend my money on? Totally don't get that...

Consider the source

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877667 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 2:47 PM

Or a camisole underneath; there are some with lace at the neckline for just such a purpose.

Minxie

Example:

http://www.herroom.com/vanity-fair-17003-illumination-lace-c...

Love that we're talking about tops now.

No doubt my personal fashion sense is downright anti-trendy, but I don't have the budget for new clothes (that fits me properly even) and that I like.

Though I'm not yet 50 (but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel), I like a lot of stuff that go from much younger (think midlife crisis style of dressing, LOL) to something that makes me look like a doting grandmother. As far as tops go, I tend to do a lot of physical activity in the course of the day, bending, stooping, climbing, etc. When I wear low cut tops, my undergarments (or more) start popping out.

I like high collars that often cover my collar bone, or just barely reveal it. For me, this usually means a crew collar. Because of physical activity, if I'm not wearing a short sleeve, I go sleeveless (flabby upper arms at least is pretty feminine, I rarely see men with flabby arms) but have a hard time finding wide shoulders. Inexpensive women's sleeveless tops too often have frail, dainty, narrow shoulder straps that fall off my shoulders during activities.

Since I can't afford the clothing (quality, type, and particularly, sizing/fit) that I think actually complements me and maintains a nice feminine touch, I often buy clothing at men's stores. Sometimes I go through the trouble of trying to tailor it for myself, but most of the time, I'm a middle-aged, thick waisted woman, walking around in squarish, ugly men's garb while I'm doing things. Or wearing a weird mix of men's and women's clothing while I am out and about.

I am on such a pathetic clothing budget, I get much too excited when I buy a new bra and panties (ah, panties! Yes, mostly "grandma" panties). No one wants to see me wearing female low-rise jeans with grandma panties sticking above the waist.

At least I'm comfortable and functional even if strangers - and their young children - glance askance at me as I pass by.

ST

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877668 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 2:55 PM

Consider the source

I don't know who that is, but I have a funny feeling that - assuming that writer is a woman - if the two of us were trapped together somehow and had a bizarre Freaky Friday http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0322330/ moment in which we were teleported into each other's closets and lifestyles, I think we would be each other's idea of a living hell, or unintended epiphanies.

People's desire, or need, to be aware of how others perceive them is something I've never really understood except mostly by extrapolation. It could be the touch of suspected Asperger's in me, but I have little/no sense of form over function. The funny thing about being an architect, I think you need to have sophisticated appreciation (not just understanding) of form regardless of funciton to be a decent architect.

Funny thing, I do have people in my life who are extremely - to me - fashion aware and conscious. Both men and women. A few of them have begged me to let them shop for me, LOL.

ST

Author: Runemage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877669 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 3:50 PM
When I wear low cut tops, my undergarments (or more) start popping out.

There are some reasonably priced solutions to this on ebay and elsewhere, look for 'modesty panel' or 'chemisette' You may be able to make some out of existing clothes you don't wear any more.

Rune

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877671 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 5:29 PM
The funny thing about being an architect, I think you need to have sophisticated appreciation (not just understanding) of form regardless of funciton to be a decent architect.
Sadly very true. Although I am a math and engineer geek, I got into architecture because I LOVE design. I am kind of crap designer (although a great PM), but I can appreciate it when I see it.

Fashion is similar - I like it and there's a lot that seems similar to me to my field. I watch "Project Runway" simply because it reminds me of a cattier, more high-drama version of architecture school (and I love Tim Gunn).

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877672 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/30/2013 5:39 PM
I used to work in the fashion industry - but now I'm wondering: what ever happened to rib (non-chunky) cotton sweaters? It just seems like once they were able to manufacture lower-priced sweaters in wool and cashmere - that's all you can find nowadays.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877682 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 10:01 AM
Because which is worse:
- Frumpy, which implies above it all, but really just doesn't look good, or
- Wearing yesterday's trends, which looks like I tried and failed?

Here's a suggestion: stop reading fashion articles and simply stick to what makes you smile when you look in the mirror.

I own several purses. I have three Coach, and one really great Michael Kors. All four were given to my by a friend who had tired of them and didn't want them anymore. I love them.

I also have a really, really cool Harvey Seatbelt bag.

http://www.seatbeltbags.com/

I expressed an interest in them (to same said friend) and she first thought that they must be the ugliest things EV-AH and then liked them so much she bought me one for my birthday. It's still probably unfashionable but I get TONS of comments and they're practically indestructible.

Wear jeans that FIT you and make you look good. My favorite is the LLBean 1912 jeans because they fit me.

My "top" thing isn't turtlenecks but cable knit sweaters. I love them.

When I get up in the morning, I do so with a minimum of fuss and messing around, and I'm comfortable. I'm also, for where I work, appropriately dressed.

Am I ever going to be known as a knockout fashionista? Nope. But I don't want to be.

Stop reading the articles. Does the purse make YOU happy? Does it work for you?

Yes?

Great. Then it's doing its job.

If not... well, then, yeah, it's not a good use of your money.

GSF
... still seriously recommends the seatbelt bags. Really. They're fun.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877683 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 10:10 AM
Recommendations: 36
Get a bag that does the job, for the lowest cost possible. Don't worry about what your (mostly broke) friends and (mostly broke) co-workers think.

Do you carry a bag? Then how do you know what "job" it's supposed to do?

If purses were about simple functionality, most people would carry a grocery bag, or wear a fanny pack, or something else, and have done.

For different people, purses mean a lot of different things.

Your presumption that part of the "job" isn't appearance or label is, well, presumptuous.

My wife and I are multi-millionaires.

You've mentioned. Oh, you've mentioned. Over and over and over. Congratulations.

You've also put down every possible luxury or enjoyment that ANYONE on this board has ever had.

We're all quite pleased that you've managed to amass a sum of money that none of us can possibly avoid knowing you have, all while being utterly unimpressed by absolutely anything in the world either owned by someone else or provided to you on someone else's dime.

You've disparaged going out to dinner, wine, all other forms of luxury goods, fashion, many forms of technology, and plenty of other things that make other people happy.

This is, once again, the "L"BYM board.

If you have the "M" and it contributes to the "L" why do we need to drag it into the depths of despair and stomp on it?

This may be a surprise to you, but you won't live forever, and no, you really *can't* take it with you.

GSF

... of the shocking, shocking excess of occasionally being at a restaurant for which I will actually pay the check, taking vacations, and sending her kids to expensive day camp, and other craziness, which I *balance* by cutting back in other areas.

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877685 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 11:32 AM
Okay, those seat belt bags are adorable. I have to make one.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/category/Seat-Belt-Webbing.html...

Fifi

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877690 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 3:43 PM
Recommendations: 37
You've mentioned. Oh, you've mentioned. Over and over and over. Congratulations.

You've also put down every possible luxury or enjoyment that ANYONE on this board has ever had.

This is, once again, the "L"BYM board.

If you have the "M" and it contributes to the "L" why do we need to drag it into the depths of despair and stomp on it?

This may be a surprise to you, but you won't live forever, and no, you really *can't* take it with you.

THANK YOU for saying this!! Dad passed away in June and mom and dad are also multi millionaires (although THEY never, ever talk about money, let alone brag about it). In talking to mom last week, she said that although they did travel, they never splurged. On cruise ships they booked cheap, windowless rooms. They always flew coach on very early or very late flights, took buses, stayed in cheap hotel rooms, etc. She did express that they were so used to being frugal that they never stopped even when they could afford it. She wishes they would have lived it up more, while dad was here to enjoy it.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877691 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 4:19 PM
Recommendations: 5
Dad passed away in June and mom and dad are also multi millionaires (although THEY never, ever talk about money, let alone brag about it). In talking to mom last week, she said that although they did travel, they never splurged. On cruise ships they booked cheap, windowless rooms. They always flew coach on very early or very late flights, took buses, stayed in cheap hotel rooms, etc. She did express that they were so used to being frugal that they never stopped even when they could afford it. She wishes they would have lived it up more, while dad was here to enjoy it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

My father had a massive stroke before he could retire, and he died a few years afterward. He and mom had traveled, gone to Broadway shows, taken cruises, and lived a comfortable life while still putting aside money. Mom said after he died that she was glad they had done so many things, rather than just sitting on the money. She had years of memories, and they were good memories. She died just over a year ago, and her estate was just about a million dollars. It's possible to put money aside, and still enjoy life.

Nancy

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877692 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 5:02 PM
Recommendations: 5
Dad passed away in June and mom and dad are also multi millionaires (although THEY never, ever talk about money, let alone brag about it). In talking to mom last week, she said that although they did travel, they never splurged. On cruise ships they booked cheap, windowless rooms. They always flew coach on very early or very late flights, took buses, stayed in cheap hotel rooms, etc. She did express that they were so used to being frugal that they never stopped even when they could afford it. She wishes they would have lived it up more, while dad was here to enjoy it.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Some years ago, I had learned a lesson from a boss of mine. He had retired, and finally, finally, had started to open up and enjoy life, just a bit. He was traveling to spend more time with his grandson, like that.

Two months after his retirement, he had a stroke in his sleep and never woke again. I was devastated to hear of it... he had retired relatively late because he was always trying to put away just a *little* more... and never lived to enjoy it. That's where I decided I wanted to do some living, even if it meant that I was saving less than I could (though not less than what I thought I needed to).

I am not big on stuff, myself, but I do absolutely love to have experiences. I love to go on vacations, and when we do, I'd rather have one of shorter duration that allows us to do something fabulous than do things as cheaply as possible and not really get to create the memories I would like to have.

I think there has to be a balance. I would love to be a multi-millionaire, but not at the cost of other things in my life. I don't know if I will be a multi-millionaire at the end of it all, but I make photobooks to capture the travels I take with my family. When I look at those, I don't regret that I spent the money at all.

GSF

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877694 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 10/31/2013 10:01 PM
Recommendations: 7
In talking to mom last week, she said that although they did travel, they never splurged. On cruise ships they booked cheap, windowless rooms. They always flew coach on very early or very late flights, took buses, stayed in cheap hotel rooms, etc. She did express that they were so used to being frugal that they never stopped even when they could afford it. She wishes they would have lived it up more, while dad was here to enjoy it.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Frugality can become an ingrained habit. MDH turns 70 tomorrow (11/1). We just got back from our first trip to Europe (Tuscany). We made reservations in spring and had already paid our trip costs. We weren't sure we'd be able to enjoy it. (We did have trip insurance.)

I'd mashed the medial meniscus in my right knee in mid-August. Physical therapy did its magic and I just needed to take it easy and not jog up hillsides <tongue firmly in cheek - I'm 67 w/ asthma>.

His hip implant took a turn for the worse two weeks before we left. There was a week of frantic searching for appropriate meds for him before we left. I'm happy to report that they worked. (The muscle relaxant was a big win!)

He's feeling his mortality, especially since he experienced severe pain in his only hand two days after we returned. (Diagnosed as gout. He's already had several bouts of kidney stones. I expect that they'll up his dose of Allopurinol soon.)

I'm happy to say we both thoroughly enjoyed the trip - especially the Tuscan food and history.

I pushed for the Business Class flight option at twice the airfare. It was well worth it in terms of comfort and enjoyability!

PM

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877701 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 10:10 AM
Yet they are stunned when they find out that my wife's "payment" on her BMW is $0

A BMW?? Why not "a (car) that does the job for the lowest cost possible"?

Fact is, we all indulge every now and then, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as we keep our ultimate goals in sight (and reach).

Speck

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877703 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 11:05 AM
My parents traveled soon after my Dad retired at 65. (Mom is still working full time at 87!) They worried about spending money they might want or need in the future, but ended up taking fabulous trips. My Dad's health declined, and there really weren't too many years when he enjoyed travel. After he didn't want to travel, he'd come to my house when my Mom traveled, and he really seemed to enjoy that. He died at 77, but it made him happy to think about returning to Brazil, where he was stationed during WWII, and London, Brussels, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, you get the drift!

Now my DH is dealing with loss of energy and a huge desire to retire. He's interested in travel, but I don't know how long he will want to travel. We're going on a cruise next October and to see plays in New York this December. I've got lots of energy, and have no plans to retire. I'm thinking about going back to school and having another career!

Gail

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877711 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 12:26 PM
I've been grappling with these issues lately and it gets even thornier when I read about early deaths - like the one here this morning of Karen Wheless. (She wasn't very old, I don't think?)

With a modest lifestyle, I could retire now. In 20 months, I can retire with a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. In 56 months, I can retire very securely and comfortably.

My financial geek friends think I am crazy to retire before 56 months - at that point, I will have employer-subsidized healthcare in retirement.

That said, I have been thinking of a compromise plan between pulling the plug now versus pulling it later - the compromise being to step up my bucket list spending now - using the resources I have always squirreled away - vacation time and money.

You all are so right - these habits become so ingrained.

RS

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877712 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 12:29 PM
Gail - curious about your possible plans for a career change?

RS

Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877724 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 2:30 PM
The pits of miserly condemning shrunkeness lie to one side and the slippery slopes of slovenly covetous gluttony to the other -- old old old tales.

Wonderful tales.

Living well combines joy with prudence, generosity with frugality, dancing through both tragedy and comedy.

Watch as "dear old Fezziwig" shows how it's done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTa4K7GGBwM

Oh go ahead and watch it! If you've seen it before you'll know you need to see it again (you are older now, yes?), and if you've never seen it, NEVER seen it(!?) -- why then

for God's sake don't wait
for ghosts to catch you
and dragged you in
almost too late!

david fb

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877727 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 2:56 PM
curious about your possible plans for a career change?

I'm exploring possibilities in ministry!

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877730 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 3:17 PM
good for you :)

Wishing you well, RS

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877746 of 883701
Subject: Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date: 11/1/2013 6:50 PM
... of the shocking, shocking excess of occasionally being at a restaurant for which I will actually pay the check, taking vacations, and sending her kids to expensive day camp, and other craziness, which I *balance* by cutting back in other areas.

"Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once."

Darn. They still haven't fixed that bug where you can't recommend something more than once even when it's so awesome you have to keep re-reading it because you're not done saying "that is SO true!" yet.

Balance, balance, balance.

And variety, variety, variety. That which I love and cannot live without may bring out another in hives (possibly literally, if we're talking about good wool yarn), that which moves their world may leave me going "erm...ooookayyy..."

And thus do we have a bustling, energetic world full of endless things to discover. (Would be pretty boring otherwise.) (Plus, I'd have to fight more people over the sale bins at the yarn store.) (<= that...would be a nightmare...)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement