Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214643  
Subject: Re: Buffett Calls for 'Strong' Estate Tax Date: 12/13/2012 9:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 52
I'll say it again. I will listen to what he says (about taxes), when he decides to give his money to the government rather than to the Gates Foundation. Which one would you trust your money with?

Without question, the government. I have no say, zero, over what happens at the Gates Foundation. I never will. Nothing I can ever do will influence them. With government, at least I get a nominal vote every two years, and if I lose, well, I still had a chance.

Moreover, the Gates Foundation has many goals which are meaningless to me, while government has many that I find important. Like building roads, hiring teachers, paying police and firemen, forming an army, and, sometimes not so well, regulating financial markets and other things which I think a pretty good idea.

The Gates Foundation also has many laudable goals, but I'm not sure "better flush toilet" or "encouraging use of computers" is a biggie, either.

As for "trust", well, I view the guy who ran Microsoft as a criminal enterprise after agreeing to stop the anti-competitive practices and then continuing them in violation of his own consent decree, while fighting in court his right to stomp competitors into the dirt with monopolistic practices, as particularly untrustworthy. Perhaps he has reformed. Even Andrew Carnegie built libraries.

For such an incredible businessman, he sure has a very naive analysis of the government and ignores how it can be corralled by various interest groups.

Given that he was one of them, spent untold millions being on of those interest groups, this is a particularly ironic assessment, or perhaps blindered on your part?

I would prefer not to post on this subject, but when he goes national and what he says the White House uses to push their agenda, it irritates the hell out of me.

I would prefer not to post on the subject, too, but when people tell Warren Buffett that he should keep his mouth shut because he is somehow too stupid to understand how the economy works, it irritates the hell out of me.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement