UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18  
Subject: I'll show you oppression! Date: 12/19/2003 9:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
The United States Government oppresses me every two weeks! They take over 7% of my paycheck for "Social Security", and an equal amount from my employer that could otherwise be paid to me. Now if this "Social Security" somehow improved society (especially my part of society) I might not be so unhappy about it, but it clearly doesn't.

The way I look at it, Social Security does far more harm than good. The Social Security Administration (which is government-ese for useless, bloated bureaucracy) states that SS is not enough for one to live off of in retirement. Too many Americans have no clue that this is the case, so they're already behind the eight-ball. Anyone who passed 5th grade math can figure out that current population trends will mean that either benefits will have to be reduced below the sub-poverty level they are currently at and/or taxes on workers will have to rise exponentially to have any chance of the program existing by the time my generation retires, which is not the hallmark of a successful program. Even the message of the program, that Big Daddy Government will take care of Poor Widdle Citizens when they retire by "holding onto" their money for them because they're incapable of saving for retirement, only gives people false hope.

IMHO, if anyone relies on one penny of SS to fund their retirement they have utterly failed to take any personal financial responsibility. The government is stealing from you while you work with the promise of money later, but they neglect to tell you that your return on investment is so pitiful that it would be funny if it weren't so tragic. Every cent they take out of your paycheck to fund SS is one less cent you can legitimately invest for retirement (by legitimately I mean via a method that will actually give a positive return on investment, which is nearly impossible with SS unless you live to be 140).

SS is nothing more than the government stealing from each and every worker in this country, and the sad part is that many are clamoring for this type of oppression! Even Stalin himself couldn't have come up with a more un-American program if he had lived to be 100.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement