Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll take a shot at this but all input is welcome. If you mean the mother provides more than 50 percent of the total support for the sisters, then she can't allow the daughter to claim the sisters' exemptions through a multiple support agreement, because in order to use the multiple support agreement, no one can provide more than 50 percent of support.

To get the earned income credit the daughter would have to qualify under the relationship test. The child (meaning sisters in this case) does not have to be the daughter's dependent to be a qualifying child, unless one are both are married. But the sisters must be the daughter's children (really getting weird now!). There is a fosterchild category that is broadly interpreted by the IRS as a child you have cared for as your own and who you have lived with the whole year. That may allow EIC for the daughter, without claiming the sisters as dependents.

In reality, you may want to explore, if the daughter did provide more than 50% support, and where the mother's and daughter's available funds actually do go-- is the house paid for, etc.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.