UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11009  
Subject: Re: Calculating time value? Date: 12/30/2005 7:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'll take a stab at this, just to see if I'm on track with my learning.

Time value is based on time and presumed volitility. As of 12/30/05 there are 49 days left to expiration, 2/17/2006. Time value should begin to shrink dramatically during the last couple of weeks, and will reach zero at expiration.

Feb call $5
Bid 0.8
Ask 1.2
Stock $5.59

Bought @ ask, paid $120 (+commission. maybe, $15. Don't forget!)
intrinsic value $59 (which you could capture minus comm. if you executed the call and sold the stock right away )
By reselling the option @ bid, you could capture $80. So the option is worth more than the stock, so there is a real time value of $21. (80-59) Commissions both ways eat that up.
The stock must rise to $6.20 to break even in 49 days. ($6.50 with commissions or up $.91) To get to $6.20, the stock must rise 10.9%, or 116% annualized. Your belief in whether this will happen depends on fundamentals, technicals, option volitility, etc. This break-even barrier is in essence the time value of the option, what you are giving up for the 49 days.

Say the stock went to $6 tomorrow, or up 7.3%. If this is not very unusual, I wouldn't expect the extra volitility to affect the options, and the time value would shrink slightly as there are now 48 days left (2% of the time left is gone). If this stock has been flat for a long time, everyone might presume the volility to continue and give a lot of time value, especially if the rise is based on big permanent news (new dividend announced, FDA approves a drug, company buy-out rumor that solidifies, etc.) If there is no special news, everyone just realizes the stock is worth $6 instead of $5.59 or the general market went up, time value about same: $21, maybe down to $20. The intrinsic value is now $100, so the bid might rise to 1.2. Or in might not. Even so, notice how the spread and commissions still chew you up.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement