UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kelbon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41629  
Subject: Re: A learning curve Date: 9/14/2012 11:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
I'll take the divvies and the appreciation 24/7/365, and I will still have the same yield as when I started. Or, perhaps I missed a point somewhere along the way; wouldn't be the first time.

Sure, you'll have the same yield from the dividend on the money you spent to buy the stock, and, maybe even more if the company raised the dividend in the interim. But, it's this line of thinking that stops people selling a winner and reinvesting their profits in a stock at a better price with a heftier dividend yield.

You— "I'm getting a 5% return on my purchase price just from the dividend alone, I'd be crazy to sell!"

Me— "Well, how would you like an 8% return instead just from the dividend?"

You— "No, that's not possible, is it?"

Me— "Yes it is, just sell your winning stock and invest all the proceeds in a better prospect with a higher dividend yield."

Here's some math for you: company A, the stock you hold, paid a 4% dividend when you bought it at $20 a share. They raised the dividend since. Based on your original purchase price you're now getting a 5% dividend yield. Let's say you spent $10,000 on the stock and you are now being paid $500 a year in dividend payments (5% of your purchase price.)

Stock A has doubled in value since you bought it. If you sold your shares you would have $20,000 in hand. What's more because the price has gone up so much the dividend yield at the stock's current price is now only 2.5%.

Now, you've ruminated a bit about stock B, which seems like a good solid company that is reasonably priced and has a dividend yield of 4%.

If you sold stock A and bought stock B with the proceeds ($20,000) remembering that it has a dividend yield of 4% you can easily calculate that you will be paid $800 a year in dividend distributions. This would be an 8% return on your original investment of $10,000 from dividends alone — you only have to switch horses to get it.

(I've ignored brokerage fees and possible tax implications for the sake of simplicity; to keep the math as simple as possible.)

kelbon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement