Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19366  
Subject: Re: Tossing in/out ideas Date: 1/8/2013 9:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'll toss out another idea - a variant on global shipping plays:

I recently established a position in Textainer Group Holdings (TGH). I don't add new entrants to my portfolio all that often. At present, TGH is on my "taxi squad" (a 1% position).

What is TGH?

Textainer Group Holdings Limited, through its subsidiaries, engages in the purchase, ownership, management, leasing, and resale of a fleet of marine cargo containers worldwide. The company leases dry freight containers, as well as special-purpose containers to shipping lines, freight forwarding companies, and the United States military; manages a fleet of containers for and on behalf of the owners; and buys and resells used containers. It operates a fleet of approximately 1.6 million containers.

Here are the financial metrics:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=TGH

There's lots to like: PE=8.33; PEG=1.14;
P/B-1.91; Profit Margin=42.27%; Return on Equity=24.64%; Div. Yield=5.30%.

What's not to like? Debt and lousy Quick and Current Ratios.

Here's a rather gushing Seeking Alpha entry:

http://tinyurl.com/afga2uw

While searching for a good dividend pick with fast growth, I stumbled upon this small company with a fast dividend growth, a high yield, a low payout ratio, great fundamentals and a great business model.

Founded in 1979 and headquartered in Bermuda, Textainer owns, manages and leases of a fleet of marine cargo containers worldwide, also known as intermodals. Intermodals are metal boxes which one would normally see in the shipyard, stacked on top of one another.

Now, for more about its business model. Besides owning a large fleet of 1.6 million containers, Textainer also leases dry freight containers, as well as special-purpose containers (refrigerated containers, etc. ) to more than 1,000 customers worldwide, which include more than 400 shipping lines, some freight forwarding companies, and even the United States military. The company also manages some containers on behalf of the owners. All these are done through the company's over 150 offices and depots. Besides this, the company also sells up to 100,000 containers yearly.

I could go on, but I don't want to be a stock tout. I found a whole lotta articles/analyst reports regarding TGH. Anyone interested can do the same. Suffice it to say, I'm interested enough in this company to establish a stake.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement